PDA

View Full Version : WCS meeting town hall 03/12/07

csense
06-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Read the Herald today but gleaned only that there was a unanimous no to the new bridge and Stratford voice were looking again at redesigning Lucy Mill Bridge.
Here are a few of my thoughts after crossing over this bridge since 1930 apologies for the length.
New £2 million bridge.
Build two cost £3 million, place second at Lucys Mill far side of road bridge.
Funding from same source as World Class Stratford ( see Lib Dem comments on £1.5 million spent so far) or could we use the drawings if the new bridge is a no no.
Bridge proposed location wrong cuts river in half, curtails sailing boat use and detrimental to swans flight.
Placing the new bridge adjacent to the Churchyard at the end of Southern Lane would give sailing boats adequate river space together with the swans
It has the advantage of toilets near bye and provides a logical cycle route from the Greenway /Old Town properties etc.
Proposed position suggests that the next step is a path built from the Rec car park to the Theatre which seems to be the only reason for its placement there.
Theatre goers would benefit more from the short walk over the Tram bridge to their transport before and after sitting through hours of Shakespeare etc.
Ferry leave well alone, it is part of Stratfords history.
If all these words fall on stony ground then-------
Lucys Mill
A new truss or other style bridge can be made from weathering steel (low alloy steel that resists corrosion unpainted).
This finish I have to point out looks a rather dingy brown and does not have the sparkling appeal of the dimpled stainless new bridge with its ever changing reflections which it is hoped will bring visitors from many miles away to admire and probably confuse the swans.
Cost, guestimate £1million, funding from various sources.
Access easy for crane and materials from road bridge.
Space available both sides of river for 1in 20 slope with part of the field on the Rec side available.
If all else fails improvement could be made to Lucys Mill bridge by redoing the steps Old Town side to a uniform rise i.e. 350mm x 100 instead of the uneven present steps and either the same on the Rec side to conform to BS 5395 (c) i.e. the risers at present exceed Maximum of 13 but better to build a slope of 1 in 20.
Other points
Please listen to local residents we should come first
Decent toilets in the town centre under control of the town council instead of the often closed town Square ones
More rubbish bins and emptied more often.
Paving slabs relaid
More cycle parking and dedicated lanes

It seems likely that the only way to end the suffering at Lucys Mill bridge is to fund the construction by public funding with help from the County Council.
They of course would have to adopt the bridge in due course.
The 2001 census shows 47202 households in Stratford which must be now paying over one hundred pounds per month in poll taxes, perhaps they could all be asked nicely to add one pound per household to their tax per month and with the SDC putting this into the Lucys Mill Bridge Fund plus say a grant from the Lottery we could have the means to get the designs done and with a fair wind could have the bridge up and running before yet more experts decide that the dazzling effect of the dimpled new stainless bridge will cause the swans to crash into it.
Having seen many swans landing on wet or icy roads I think they are easily confused and would not want to take this chance of injury to them.
(Read the statistics of swan accidents)

Incredible that in a year we could have £566424, a staggering sum not including interest and perhaps the fund could be set up as a charity.
Maybe this would prod the conscience of all the people involved in the World Class Stratford project who I presume will not offer a penny to have anything done there but are quite happy to spend £1.5 million on five various bridge designs and lots of pretty plans and photos.
Lots of ideas make sense like the improved bridge at the Bancroft canal lock,
cycle/pedestrian lanes and more park and ride schemes but basics first please,

Mr C Sense