PDA

View Full Version : Tradition

chillitt
15-10-2007, 03:46 PM
tra·di·tion (trə-dĭsh'ən)
n.
1.The passing down of elements of a culture from generation to generation, especially by oral communication.

2.A mode of thought or behavior followed by a people continuously from generation to generation; a custom or usage.

3.A set of such customs and usages viewed as a coherent body of precedents influencing the present: followed family tradition in dress and manners. See synonyms at heritage.

4.A body of unwritten religious precepts.

5.A time-honored practice or set of such practices.

Given that definition is pretty definitive, anyone care to guess whats being advertised as 'Warwicks oldest tradition'?
I'll give you all a clue, it's also advertised as 'alcohol free'
Don't phone, it's just for fun...:rolleyes:

Will
15-10-2007, 06:09 PM
I can't even guess, I know it's going to be outrageously stupid though.

chillitt
15-10-2007, 08:13 PM
I can't even guess, I know it's going to be outrageously stupid though.

Hehehehe well you are right so far....:D

Madhatter
21-10-2007, 04:03 AM
You mean the mop?

chillitt
21-10-2007, 08:01 PM
You mean the mop?

Thats what it says on the posters... I wonder how they discovered this fact...:rolleyes:

Madhatter
22-10-2007, 02:15 AM
It's rubbish made up to attract people. They can't possibly know that the mop is is the oldest tradition.
I take it you are disputing that it is a tradition

chillitt
22-10-2007, 11:06 AM
It's rubbish made up to attract people. They can't possibly know that the mop is is the oldest tradition.
I take it you are disputing that it is a tradition

I would dispute it being the oldest tradition, and I would guess the oldest part of the mop would be 50 years old? I don't know how many generators or PA systems would predate Lord Leicesters Hospital for instance...

Unregistered
22-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Just for fun then, lets see if anyone can find a tradition in Warwick that was granted before the reign of King Edward III?

chillitt
22-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Just for fun then, lets see if anyone can find a tradition in Warwick that was granted before the reign of King Edward III?

Oh, yes he loved his candy floss... :rolleyes:
THE PRIORY OF ST. SEPULCHRE, WARWICK
On the north side of the town of Warwick, on the site of a former parochial church of St. Helen, Henry de Newburgh, the first earl of Warwick after the Conquest, began, in the year 1109, to erect the priory of St. Sepulchre, the occasion thereof being, by the recourse of diverse pilgrims in great devotion to the Holy Land (the Christians prevailing much about that time) who solicited the earl to erect a monastery, in imitation of those canons regular there instituted in the church of the Holy Sepulchre of our Blessed Saviour; which canons used the like habits that other regular canons did, adding only a double red cross upon the breast of their cope, this being the first house of that peculiar order, either in England, Wales, Scotland, or Ireland. (fn. 1)

From: 'Houses of Austin canons: St Sepulchre, Warwick', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 2 (1908), pp. 97-99. URL: Houses of Austin canons - St Sepulchre, Warwick | British History Online (http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36503). Date accessed: 22 October 2007.

optrex
26-10-2007, 12:35 PM
You mean the mop?

Oh no not another mop thread :confused:

Unregistered
28-10-2007, 01:05 PM
chillit, what on earth are you going on about? Monks? A Monestary? A new religion? I have to be honest you've lost me a little. Is it a building, a place, is it still there today? Do they do anything that fits with your definition of tradition at a particular time of the year? I'm confused.

I just thought it would be fun to post a few old traditions, which is what I thought this thread was about. Maybe I'm mistaken, I am new here.

chillitt
28-10-2007, 06:26 PM
How about telling us 1 single part of the mop that goes back to the last King never mind Edward III. Tell us what a hiring fair would consist of in the 1300s, and then tell us what part of that you are continuing. And then, SHOW ME THE CHARTER!!!!

Unregistered
29-10-2007, 08:03 AM
How about telling us 1 single part of the mop that goes back to the last King never mind Edward III. Tell us what a hiring fair would consist of in the 1300s, and then tell us what part of that you are continuing. And then, SHOW ME THE CHARTER!!!!

I really am confused even more now?

I saw this post, I'd seen in the paper the mop dated back to the time of Edward III and thought it would be fun to find out if there were any older traditions in the town? I'm not disputing anything, just have a genuine interest so why are you having a go at me?

I'm not 'continuing' anything and I don't know about hiring fairs in the 1300's, I'm just curious about Warwick history as we did local history at school and thought this might be a friendly place to find out more. Guess I was wrong.

chillitt
29-10-2007, 10:50 AM
In that case I apologise, this is a Friendly place, but a person with some involvement with the mop has been slightly less than honest with us using the unregistered header. If you register, so we know who we are talking to, maybe even introduce yourself, you will find us all quite friendly :)