PDA

View Full Version : Have You Seen the trees

Dexter
15-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Just took a stroll down to the towpath opposite the RSC...I see that the chain saws have been working overtime to remove those beautiful willow trees ..that apparently were dangerous, and had been fatally damaged by the flooding.

A small group of people were looking totally agahst and the general feeling seemed to be one of anger towards the council.

I'm no expert on trees but I had a look at most of them and there didn't seem to be much evidence of disease to me..

What really annoys the hell out of me is that I'd prefer the council to be honest and tell us they don't give a toss what we think and that is what we are going to get.

Its obvious that the removal of the trees is to do with the view YOU ARE GOING TO GET of the RSC AND THE NEW BRIDGE

All this nonsense about "consultation" and "democratic processes" what a shambles and insults our intelligence.

If the call me Dave gets elected one day I really hope he tackles the reform of local Government..Under this shower councils irrespective of their party have run amok and are totally out of control in my opinion (not that SDC or WCC would be interested in that anyway)

Will
15-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I have to agree, since local councils have been handed a licence to do pretty much what they want, we've lost out. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but Stratford has become more expensive to live in, we've had hundreds of Warren like buildings approved, and they've conceived the highly unpopular 'World class Stratford', which is fast becoming a world class joke.

ronlyre
19-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Next week I'm going to Elizabeth House to apply under the freedom of information act to see the reports stating that the said trees were infected and with what.

Will
22-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Next week I'm going to Elizabeth House to apply under the freedom of information act to see the reports stating that the said trees were infected and with what.

Please do Ron. I'd be more then happy to publish the results of your findings too.

ronlyre
22-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Have enquired...waiting for a reply...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

optrex
23-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Willow is a very weak wood and broken branches are a continual hazard.

The trees can go right back to the trunk and will still grow back and form a good canopy. Its all part of good tree management. I think the reason was down to weakened main branches, caused by the fast flowing water through their smaller hanging branches during the floods. The ground and root structure may also have been weakened sufficiently to be a danger to a large tree with a substantial canopy. I'd rather have the tree lopped and still there than felled or damaged in a strong wind!

Shizara
23-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Willow is indeed very weak. I lived in a road that ran parallel with a road aptly named Willow Avenue, though, the road I lived in had just as many willow trees. We were forever trimming them back. They grow like a weed and indeed, when it is stormy you find branches all over the place. They are extremely hardy and can be grown easily from cuttings though the roots can do a bit of damage to paths.

cathidaw
23-10-2007, 10:35 PM
You are right there , Shizara.
When we moved here, we planted 2 willow trees in the front garden. I live on a corner with lots of space ,but not many years later there was a fractured gas pipe somewhere out in the road. Although the trees were not the problem at that time we were advised to remove the trees as the roots were curling around the pipes, and it did not bode well for us in the future. So there are many reasons why trees are felled even when they are healthy.
Although it was a long time ago I often find bits of willow growing in the lawn.

Madhatter
24-10-2007, 10:38 PM
No excuse, they've murdered our trees :mad: go get em ronlyre

ronlyre
28-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Here's the 'reaction' I've had so far with a copy of my original email at the top...

Sent: 22 October 2007 09:41
To: Ruth Rose
Subject: FW: bancroft trees
Sent: Sat 20/10/2007 10:57
To: Planning Applications
Subject: bancroft trees
If this isn’t the correct dept please accept my apologies.
I’d be very interested to see the reports concerning the removal of the willow trees opposite the theatre and the reasons for the removal. I am told they were diseased and therefore, according to the signs erected, dangerous. I would be very interested in information concerning the particular disease and who in fact made the diagnosis and suggested ‘the cure’.
As a resident and ratepayer I believe I have the right to access, if requested, to these documents and would appreciate your guidance as to how to go about my request. Thanks XXXXXXX
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 22 October 2007 10:40
To: Chris Sumner
Cc: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Importance: High
Chris
Could your section reply to this query please.

Thanks
Ruth Rose
Forestry & Landscape Officer
Planning Services

Stratford on Avon District Council, Elizabeth House, Church Street, Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 6HX
Switchboard +44 (0)1789 267575, Direct +44 (0)1789 260329, Fax +44 (0)1789 260330
email ruth.rose@stratford-dc.gov.uk, web Stratford-on-Avon District Council: Home page (http://www.stratford.gov.uk)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Sumner [mailto:Chris.Sumner@stratford-dc.gov.uk]
Sent: 23 October 2007 12:32
To: jasontombs@warwickshire.gov.uk
Cc: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Importance: High

Jason

Please find the request for the relevant report, is it possible for you to supply please?

Regards

Chris Sumner

chillitt
28-10-2007, 10:13 PM
"importance- high" Blimey Ron, how did you manage that?!!:rolleyes:

dj support
30-10-2007, 05:04 PM
the xxxxxxx's were where the death threats were :clapping: :clapping: :D :D

Unregistered
05-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I think you meant to say

"The council gave the impression the roots were damaged by the flooding"

ronlyre
12-11-2007, 04:13 PM
I've finally received a reply (of sorts) which I will try to put on this thread.

Will
19-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Here's the plans Ron has sent me which shows the fate of the trees on the Bankcroft. It's a little unclear, but it gives you some idea. There's a table going into detail as well.

http://www.warwickshireonline.com/photoplog/images/1/medium/1_mapoptimized.jpg
http://www.warwickshireonline.com/photoplog/file.php?n=52&w=o - Large version

http://www.warwickshireonline.com/photoplog/images/1/medium/1_Maptableoptimized.jpg

http://www.warwickshireonline.com/photoplog/file.php?n=53&w=o - Large version

Will
19-11-2007, 09:44 AM
If I'm reading it right, that's pretty muct every tree on the opposite side of the river to the theatre. The fact that some of the trees are being considerd left alone because of 'Bat Roosting' suggests to me that the 'weak roots' problem, isn't that much of a problem after all, rather an excuse?

Dexter
19-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Well don't know about you but unfortunately I couldn't make any sense of those documents!..Under the "recommendations" section on the table ..there were not any..

Reminds me of when I used to work for one of the big PLC's and did a project and after presenting my findings after many months of work was told "wrong answer"..I then had to rejig everything so that the "right answer" could be presented to the board of Directors..as the answer had already been decided up high before I even started my work..

I think we are in the same situation here....