PDA

View Full Version : Back To Nature Indian Food – A Delight For The Dieters

Neblett35
28-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Some Indians have taken a fancy to the naturopathy Indian Food (http://www.rasarestaurants.com/) – this is fast catching up and promises to slowly take the world by storm because of its goodness.It has proved to be extremely beneficial to the health of the body and soul and once you test this kind of food you often stick to it since it gives you a feeling of wellbeing.It will revolutionise your food habits.

The common man doesn’t know what an ideal diet should be yet he is sure that it has to have a little green, a little red ,a little milky, a little fatty, a little fibrous etc etc in it.He is vaguely familiar with the pattern and hardly follows anything but his tastebuds. Naturopathy is a food system by which you are never hungry, never too full,you feel comfortable always and is easy to cook though it sounds elaborate.It is completely vegetarian and believes a pattern has to be followed for optimum benefit.You have to be an organised eater from an organised menu and the order cannot be tampered with.
All food served has a scientific reason and nothing is done frivolously.

Most often a meal starts with sliced ripe banana with grated coconut scrapings.Bananas are believed to calm the body and mind and the grated coconut scrapings helps it work faster and better at this. This is usually followed by juices (date juice, nuts milk, clear vegetable soup, buttermilk, rice bran water called kanji etc.) each juice has some intrinsic value relevant to the diet like rich in minerals, essential fatty acids, appetizer, coolant, vitamin b complex ,high in calcium etc.Uncooked vegetables are served next because they take longer to digest.After these comes the main course of rice and dhal (a indian dish) etc and end with honey,which aids digestion and a sweet dish.

The food is satwik ( a superior kind of food) which is meant to calm the nerves and it is good if you could try to stick to it atleast once a week.In a few weeks you will begin to feel the results they promise. It is also filling and you are allowed to eat as much as you want. You loose unwanted fat and remain healthy.

This was followed regularly in olden days among Indians. Fasting is often linked to religion. Maybe the sages thought that that would be an easier way to ask the population to follow a healthy practice and churn out a healthy nation.

Will
28-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Interesting, got any recipies?

Shizara
12-10-2007, 06:59 AM
This is most interesting. Is there any more information available?

cathidaw
16-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Ihave many Indian shops near me and I do use them, especially for the fruit and veg. The people are always helpful. If Iask what things are for they go into great detail, but I would be interested in some recipes for the 'healthy eating' plan with Indian food. Please.
Idont find the 'glossy' Indian food cookery books helpful at all.
(it's like having a knitting pattern if you don't know how to knit)
All of the ingredients are almost on my doorstep. Iwould love to know a few more dishes as I'm not all that keen on curries. Most of the time it seems to be like curry flavoured stew.