PDA

View Full Version : tornado 24 Sept 2007

optrex
24-09-2007, 11:12 AM
RFMI: Request for more information please

RFMI Nuneaton Tornado 24 September 2007 - Midlands Weather Forum - A UK Weather Forum (http://www.midlandsweather.org.uk/uk-weather-chat/7252-rfmi-nuneaton-tornado-24-september-2007-a.html)

35 houses damaged in Nuneaton by tornado.

MWF is organising a site investigation to establish the tornado path and its intensity. Is anyone able to get damage images, eye witness reports etc to help the team with its investigation please?

Shizara
27-09-2007, 12:01 AM
I was none the wiser. The early morning seemed windy and it was certainly windy when I walked to the railway station but had no idea there had been a tornado. So not much help I am afraid.

optrex
27-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Shiz, I ws hoping you or the hatter would be in touch. Anyway I managed to do a site visit and we determined it wasn't a tornado at all.

optrex
02-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Finally managed to upload the damage photos. All damage was from the SW to NE line, following the straight line wind gusts. No obvious sign of rotational damage.

Images: Nuneaton Tornado @ Fotopic.Net (http://photosbygrant.fotopic.net/nuneatontornado)

Shizara
03-10-2007, 09:07 AM
I have recollections of a waterspout coming off Lake Rotorua once. Lovely sunny day then this ginormous, menacing looking, black cloud is there. The wind kicked in, everything loose flew around in circles, hailstones mixed with the rain. Rather awesome to watch, over in moments and very little damage. Viewed from a safe place nature can put on quite a show.

Madhatter
08-10-2007, 03:02 AM
Sorry, I don't post here any more, I won't post where I don't feel welcome, I just get into arguments when I do. I was unable to get over to nuneaton to get pictures as I was working. I think i used some off mwf for nuneatonweb and linked back. I tend to go on chat a lot these days it's the only place I get a decent conversation. Forums seem to be dead.

cathidaw
08-10-2007, 12:47 PM
hey Madhatter dont feel peeved.
Ithink I remember you from Atherstone on line and always looked forward to your comments, aggravating or not.. Maybe we need more people like yourself to liven things up.
Things may pick up here -we need to be advertised more.
Many people have joined this site since I did-and after a few comments, disappeared.perhaps they didn't think it was that interesting, but may be they weren't either. A site or any club is only as good as it's members, who must take an active part or it will fade away.
I dont profess to be -oh- so knowledgable -about anything except of course about my own profession-but I can if necessary, talk for England-at least ,write for England. Quite shy really!
Perhaps we could have a list of subjects to discuss-rant -about.

Well , on this beautiful day , I will get back to my garden -8th October and there are spring flowers out and honeysuckle, and those white daisies that smell vile but look so good--and I have 2 strawberries nearly red , and then my cat is following me to see if I will dig a soft patch for her--no chance-
I dont dig -I tiffle
It is a perfect day and 'Pippa's Song' comes to mind.!!!! remember it?

Do people really use the chat room? Ihave never tried it . how do Iget in.

Madhatter
08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Atherstone-online or atherstone-f0rum ? You joined the latter before you joined here. both Atherstone and nuneaton have turned into more of a blog about for my opinions. Will sees this as a rival forum, I don't, The only rivals I have are truly local forums, not a general Warwickshire forum.

I don't think people in the north of the county even associate with Warwickshire much, there's a north south divide in Warwickshire due to Coventry being taken out of the county and Stratford being a major tourist town that drains the county's resources on stupid idiotic schemes that help neither residents of the town or tourists. This is the reason why I never took up the challenge of a Warwickshire forum, which was suggested over a year before will started this one. It needed someone in the south to do it or it simply wouldn't work. You need to know your area or need people in each area to work with you. This site needs someone in each town ideally. They post stuff about that town, people from other towns comment. Without someone from each town you're just not going to get the posts related to that town. Therfore the next best thing is someone in the middle of the biggest clump of towns.
Take the Hartshill Castle post for example, I know exactly where it is , I spent Saturday taking pictures up at the Hayes. Will can't find it sat maps cos it's unrecognisable to how it is now and he has no local knowledge. I've got the same problem with a site for Rawtenstall I help out with, I have limited local knowledge and all the local sites see it as a rival at get its members to boycott it. It's a shame cos it's not fair on the admin, I think she's about gave up on it.

General consensus seems to be that it was a tornado optrex.

optrex
08-10-2007, 05:00 PM
General consensus seems to be that it was a tornado optrex.

Thats interesting. Where, in the media or with the locals?

cathidaw
08-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Madhatter,
Yes, I joined Atherstone forum, because I lived there for 6 years as a child.
and was hoping to discuss the place as it was and to add to the oral history before it is too late.One never knows I may hopefully have been able to fill in a few gaps ,
Iknow it is quite a different place physically but Iwonder--- has it really changed. Are the real locals still so insular and averse to change? From what I see and hear--for instance --making it into a booktown--wonderful idea--it is struggling. They(the locals) still dont see further than the ends of their noses to realise how much help it would be to the town.
On reflection---No I do not think it has changed much since the war.Why did most of the evacuees go home in less than one year there?
I know--they were like foreign bodies.
I'M RAMBLING ON BUT THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD TOPIC ON A.Forum but no-one seemed interested.
Iwould like to stir this site up a bit too. Any ideas?

Shizara
08-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Localised forums are a great way to share experiences and life in your own town. I think it would be fair to say that most subjects are of interest to someone. Even something trivial can spark the interest or help someone interested to recall something from days gone by. An example might be something I was told regarding the Felix Holt hotel in Nuneaton. It used to be a funeral parlour. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Madhatter
08-10-2007, 08:46 PM
With the press and nobody seems to have said otherwise. I'd have thought the weather people would have said if it wasn't a tornado. Apparently we're one of the country's most hit by them.

Cathi if you don't ask and join in then they won't answer, but yes they are still idiotic and stuborn, they destroyed the booktown with thier negative attitudes although that said others from past booktowns had an axe to grind and didn't seem to care if they destroyed our chances of success. Same with Atherstone online, paul wouldn't change with the times and take on others and my ideas, we argued, I left, I got accused of ridicules things. Then I got accused of sabotaging atherstone online after he closed it because OTHERS were accusing him of being incapable of running a forum and designing sites which were up to modern standards. Since then, they've boycotted me, they visit to see what I say but won't comment. They can't see that what I'm doing is trying to help the town better itself.

If your interested in having your comments recorded, we are looking for stories to archive and also possibly for use on sound boxes along the canal for a new walk around n warks. My granddad was one of those that came here during the war so not all went back.
I have no idea what you can do to stir this site up. sorry, if i did I'd use it my atherst0ne f0rum too

Felix holt used to be a garage and funeral directors yes, I remember it very well, I can't remember the name though. I think they retired but I'm not sure, they may have just moved. I'll ask my relatives.

cathidaw
09-10-2007, 11:20 AM
My son did the archeological survey on that funeral parlour as it was being pulled down.Iwill ask him to look in his records for the name when Ispeak to him tonight

optrex
09-10-2007, 03:58 PM
With the press and nobody seems to have said otherwise. I'd have thought the weather people would have said if it wasn't a tornado. Apparently we're one of the country's most hit by them.

Ah I see. Well the weather people did say, but the press didn't see that part of it as interesting. 2 independent site surveys have been carried out, both have ruled out a tornado in this instance.

Madhatter
10-10-2007, 02:49 AM
Boring then really.
Anyway i'm off again so prob won't be back for a while . tc all

optrex
12-10-2007, 08:39 PM
tc hatter

Tiff
19-10-2007, 09:19 AM
I think weather forecasting must be the only job where you don't get fired for getting it constantly wrong!:rolleyes: :D
I go prepared for all eventualities when I go out - though I haven't been able to track down a huskey team yet.;)

I lived in the US for a few years and in some places, there were tornado and hurricane road routes in place just in case. That would be impossible with the road system in Nuneaton! Thankfully it's not necessary, but can you imagine the chaos?!:D

When I lived in Las Vegas, there was one night when ex-hubbie and I were in bed, as was our 4 year old DS.
We were woken by the shimmering sound made by the blinds at the window, the bed was trembling (puts you off water beds for life!:eek: ) and as I sat up, I saw the light shade was swinging in circles. Ex was woken too. We jumped out of bed and there was a fuzzy trembling through the floor.
We rushed to DS's room to check on him, calling his name to reassure him.
And suddenly it was over.

I opened his bedroom door to find him fast sleep. My son had slept through a 4.5 scale earthquake!:D
He's now 17 and still seems to have the same problem waking up!:rolleyes:
Wishing you all a good day.:)
Much Love,
Tiff xxx