PDA

View Full Version : Supermarkets

jj70
21-09-2007, 06:20 PM
In the last few months my local supermarket in Coventry has started a new style of shopping. It consists of constantly moving the produce from one side of the store to another and then to another and then to another on a weekly basis, it's enough to make a grown man cry except they've moved the kleenex and i can't find it. :confused:

Shizara
22-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Ah, I think that from their perspective there is a method in their madness. It's designed to confuse us and have us stay in the store longer wandering about the aisles looking for what was in one aisle one week and and now down the other end of the store. The objective is to have you spend more by impulse buying. Not sure that it improves your shopping experience if you can't find the Kleenex though.

As a foreigner to these shores I find things in odd places. eg expecting to find all baking things in the same place I go there looking for sugar. Well, it ain't necessarily so. One day I was looking for coffee and whizzed down the main aisle looking for the one that said Coffee / Tea and completely missed the one that said Hot Drinks.

jj70
22-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Sorry can't help, needed some coffee for the perc on Sunday and the buggers went and moved it, been to busy today to get some so gonna be grumpy in the morn till Tesco's opens.

cathidaw
23-09-2007, 01:49 AM
Be Warned You Poor Souls, You Will All Need A Big Shoulder To Cry On.
The Arena Tesco Have Moved Nearly Everything

--the Rotters

Shizara
23-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Hmm... Tesco by Ricoh. Not been there, I might when they get around to building a railway station.

It's an evil and nasty trick and I wonder how it fares with the likes of the Disability Act. Say someone with a sight disability comes in to do their shopping. They shop in the same store most of the time and know from experience where things are. Then some bright spark has a brilliant idea and does a shelf contents reshuffle. If it annoys us imagine how the elderly feel.

jj70
23-09-2007, 09:39 PM
That's why 9 out of 10 elderly people prefer Whiskars to any other leading brand of pet food they accidentally pick up thinking it's corned beef after a store reshuffle.....

chillitt
24-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Well in my shop nothing has moved in about 3 years.... including me!:D

jj70
24-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Okay chaps, it's 18.38 and now i'm about to set out to Asda to get catfood, i may be gone a while........

Shizara
27-09-2007, 12:03 AM
jj70 don't forget your sat navigator in case you get lost! - Though beware, you could finish up in some places that can't be negotiated by a trolley.

optrex
27-09-2007, 02:57 PM
I always thought all supermarkets did this as a tactic to get you to see other products, you woudl normally walk past

Shizara
27-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Well, that is likely the real intention but it isn't usually seen that way by those doing their shopping unless they have all day and making an excursion of the visit.

Leofric
30-09-2007, 10:17 AM
It annoys my wife as well.

TESCO are planning another huge site in Canley - they are going to build a new Tesco stores on stilts over the car park and add more shop units to the existing shopping mall...

I wonder if Cov'll ever get a Waitrose? (There's one being built in Kenilworth.)

cathidaw
30-09-2007, 11:56 AM
I noticed last night that Tesco at Arena have greatly increased their range of 'foreign ' food -especially Polish,and are keeping the prices roughly the same -at the moment. Also a lot of Asian cookware and tableware-those pretty dishes once only available in the Indian shops now have a whole section there.
Not only are Tesco building their monstrous stores everywhere, having wiped out most of the corner shops , it appears that they are now aiming to annihalate the many small shops opening up to serve the Eastern European immigrants now residing here.
What happened to the Monopolies Commission-is it still in existance/. If so I cant see that they are doing much of a job.

As I have said before Tesco, is hoping to take over about a quarter of Bedworth town centre with there new store plan.
Conservation area?- who cares! Town draft plan? Who cares again!.
Our 7 year draft plan runs out soon so one can accurately surmise what may happen.
Too many charity shops here and pound shops-the rents are too high for proper small shops, so I am supposing that the N B Council will welcome the revenue from Tesco if it happens and to hell with Bedworth and it's unique history (black as it was) They(the council) have been surprisingly quiet.
As usual , a lot of lip service but little else.

chillitt
02-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I have just heard that Farmfoods in warwick is going to be a M&S foodhall
Thats not just a shock to the system, thats a Marks and Spencers shock to the system!!:D

Leofric
05-10-2007, 09:57 PM
I have just heard that Farmfoods in warwick is going to be a M&S foodhall
Thats not just a shock to the system, thats a Marks and Spencers shock to the system!!:D

A garage on the A45 in Coventry is being turned into a M&S food store.

chillitt
05-10-2007, 10:32 PM
A garage on the A45 in Coventry is being turned into a M&S food store.

I heard that too, rumour has it they both are, but not sure how much sense that makes...:rolleyes:

Shizara
08-10-2007, 08:54 PM
If the council are involved then something doesn't necessarily have to make sense for them to make something happen.

Leofric
08-10-2007, 10:50 PM
I noticed last night that Tesco at Arena have greatly increased their range of 'foreign ' food -especially Polish,and are keeping the prices roughly the same -at the moment. Also a lot of Asian cookware and tableware-those pretty dishes once only available in the Indian shops now have a whole section there.
Not only are Tesco building their monstrous stores everywhere, having wiped out most of the corner shops , it appears that they are now aiming to annihalate the many small shops opening up to serve the Eastern European immigrants now residing here.
What happened to the Monopolies Commission-is it still in existance/. If so I cant see that they are doing much of a job.

As I have said before Tesco, is hoping to take over about a quarter of Bedworth town centre with there new store plan.
Conservation area?- who cares! Town draft plan? Who cares again!.
Our 7 year draft plan runs out soon so one can accurately surmise what may happen.
Too many charity shops here and pound shops-the rents are too high for proper small shops, so I am supposing that the N B Council will welcome the revenue from Tesco if it happens and to hell with Bedworth and it's unique history (black as it was) They(the council) have been surprisingly quiet.
As usual , a lot of lip service but little else.

Have you been in Coventry recently? The retail is terrible.

skydakini
13-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Have you been in Coventry recently? The retail is terrible.

Yes it is not the greatest in the world - seems to be so many tescos around and not much else really !!!

Now kwik save has all but closed on ball hill and somerfields on binley road is now knocked down has meant i have been wandering around quite a few of the local shops to find goods....may take longer but have found a greater variety of goods that i would not normally have tried and the prices are not always more expensive than tescos etc as perceived...ok so i still do an on line big tescos shop each month to stock up on big bulk but that is purely laziness as no need to really as amazing amount of goods available locally - plus you get to speak to people in your local area and exercise by walking and carrying goods home !!

local shopping with local businesses - win win me thinks!!

Leofric
14-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Yes it is not the greatest in the world - seems to be so many tescos around and not much else really !!!

Now kwik save has all but closed on ball hill and somerfields on binley road is now knocked down has meant i have been wandering around quite a few of the local shops to find goods....may take longer but have found a greater variety of goods that i would not normally have tried and the prices are not always more expensive than tescos etc as perceived...ok so i still do an on line big tescos shop each month to stock up on big bulk but that is purely laziness as no need to really as amazing amount of goods available locally - plus you get to speak to people in your local area and exercise by walking and carrying goods home !!

local shopping with local businesses - win win me thinks!!

I was talking more about the city centre. My local retail in Earlsdon is excellent. I'd never shop in Kwik Save or Somerfield if you paid me, horrible store. Good riddance!

The city centre is not very good for a city of its size... Seems to be too many bargain stores & not a lot else. We've started to go elsewhere.