PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help in tracing my ancestors and any living relatives in Warwichshire

SHELIAJEAN
29-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi,

This is Shelia Jean, I live near Charleston, SC, USA. I am trying to get more information on my family, surname Osborn (also Osborne and Ozborn).
The fartherest back I have gotten is James Osborn (of Warwickshire) and his wife, Anna Carter (of Stratford on Avon). They came to Virginia in about 1697. James was christened in about 1671, although we don't know the area or Church. We have also not been able to find any information about the parents of either James or Anna. I also know that one of my distant relatives was the 1st Earl of Herefordshire.
If anyone has any information that might help, I would appreciate you contacting me. (Members can send messages in the usual way)
If anyone currently living in the Warwickshire area is related to my family, I would love to hear from you.

Many Thanks,

Shelia Jean

optrex
30-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Are you trying to follow the earl of herefordshire link too?

I presume we are looking at William fitzOsbern (c. 1020–February 22, 1071),

Presumably, because of his status, that line is easier to follow.

optrex
30-07-2007, 10:18 AM
I think this gets you back another generation or two and onto another trail

Ancestors of Alana, Alyssa, and Ryan John Osborne (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~westxan/6749.htm) and Ancestors of Alana, Alyssa, and Ryan James Osborne (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~westxan/6746.htm)

the latter has links back to 1595

Now its seems that there is some discrepancy as to when James was born. The dates vary from 1671 to 1675 from internet seraches. But each one lists him as marrying anne carter b 1675 (her full name is Mary Ann - no e) so she has been my search focus.

It als seems that they both came back to the UK. James died in Stratford. However at least one of his sons stayed in virginia.

optrex
30-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Some more on Anne Carter (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Oaks/7960/Carter.html)

There seems to be an extraordinary amount of travelling between the 2 countreis in both of these families.

SHELIAJEAN
31-07-2007, 02:23 AM
Hi Optrex,

Thank you for your help. The link was especially helpful. Yes, I would like to trace back to FitzOsbern. John and Anna did have four sons, one of which died in King and Queen County, Virginia. The others migrated to what is now the Virginia-North Carolina border region. At one time they held over 2000 acres of land and had servants. All have been recognized as leaders in the early development of Westren Virginia and North Westren North Carolina. Including a fort at Independence, Virginia which is now a state historic site. One of the brothers, Soloman, was killed during an Indian attack on their campsite. They appearently were also Methodists, as they are also recognized by the Methodist Church in Virginia via their contacts with Bishop Asbury who was appointed to the colonies by Coker to take leadership of the new church. Are you related to the Osborn family? If you would like, I can send you information I have gathered on the family from the late 1600's to the present.
Again, many thanks.
SheliaJean

optrex
31-07-2007, 08:59 AM
I've got no family interest SJ, I just had 30 mins spare to search the net. I did find it quite amausing that as they are obviously early settlers, it seems as though half the US is trying to trace back to them, hence all the difference in dates. If you use the mormon site you will get the arrucate birth death marriage dates.