PDA

View Full Version : FAT taxes

optrex
12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
More than 3,000 fatal heart attacks and strokes could be prevented in the UK each year if VAT was slapped on a vast range of foods, say Oxford researchers.
A 17.5% rise on fatty, sugary or salty food would cut heart and stroke deaths by 1.7%, the study in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health said. One of the researchers declared the time was right to debate a "fat tax".

chillitt
12-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Despite what our esteemed ex chancellor might like us to think, placing a tax on some thing that might be bad for us, changes nothing. It gives the government a little more cash to fritter away on the latest PFI deal and such like, but otherwise it is lip service.

No 'green' tax will ever save the planet
No 'Fat' tax will ever keep anyone slim or make anyone live longer.

Education, followed by choice, is the way. Not choice of school or hospital, or such like empty policies. Make all the schools decent educators, and all the hospitals clean and efficient. Then we can have an informed choice over what kills us. I pay quite enough tax at the moment, without having some council heath police officer standing over me, tutting because I buy butter rather than some plasticy low fat spead.
[Rant mode off]

Will
12-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I voted no, but I can see some good reasons for saying yes as well. On the one hand, if people are going to use more NHS resources then normal, because they have excess fat, then they should pay more tax for it.

The reason I voted no though, is that Labour's answer to everything is to pour as much money into it as possible. This government seems to have a policy of 'pay now, think later'. Did anyone see that programme on BBC2 when a successful businessman was put in charge of a hospital. He dramatically cut waiting lists, improved cleanliness, and improved overall organisation. All this without spending one extra penny.

While I agree in princible, I also disagree on a different princible, if that makes sense. :)

cathidaw
13-07-2007, 12:27 AM
I did not see the programme but for many years my father -who died 20 years ago--insisted that if a large business organisation e.g the people who run Tesco--Asda, etc took over the we 'd have no problems with money or waiting lists etc. So that programme proves it.

Shizara
17-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Clearly the Government wasn't interested in the results of the efforts the the successful businessman on BBC2. Had they been interested and applied the methods used they likely could have saved much in the long run, including lives.

On the butter v margarine front, this is an interesting article :Margarine Vs. Butter (http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/margbutt.htm)

Personally I don't like margarine and I don't like dry, mayonnaise filled pre packed sandwiches. Will stay with butter, I use 250grams every 2 weeks for all things.

cathidaw
20-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Iread you marg.v butter article with great interest, as Ihave alwaysbeen of the same opinion.
I never have bought Margarine and hated the wartime stuff. but I use butter in small quantities.
All that rubbish they put in prepacked sandwiches!!.Why all that mayonnaise inthem-just to stick the bread together-I saw some the other week curried chicken Mayonnaise-how disgusting and it's not real mayonnaise either.
give us good English food.
I am a - sort of - vegetarian, eat poultry and fish but never anything which contains red meat or animal fats. butter and eggs -yes.
But I remember the taste meat, food of my childhood----- beef sandwiches on dripping, and to go across a campsite in the early morning and smell the bacon frying, bread fried in in liver fat steak and kidney pudding , wonderful smells but I could not actually eat them now without revulsion.

Shizara
20-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Am not a vegetarian I eat fish and am not fussy about it, even sardines in tomato sauce on toast or with mashed potato (real spud not the packet variety), peas and carrots.

My Nana used to save the meat drippings and we had that on toast.