PDA

View Full Version : w.o.l.--anyone there? and SMOKING BAN!!!

cathidaw
15-06-2007, 02:21 AM
I DONT SMOKE but Ithink the complete ban is a mistake.I understand how difficult it is to give up.
My father smoked like a chimney and he gave up many times--said it would kill him. He died aged 86.
I HAVE A PLAN !!
WE SHOULD HAVE DESIGNATED ROOMS EVERYWHERE, in towns, offices. hospitals factories etc. Sealed rooms , or little huts with ventilators in the roofs where smokers can go when they are desperate. Somewhere where they can go for a half hour or so-for a small fee -and puff a way to their heart's discontent ,with like minded people.
OK it would be fuggy but no-one would notice or complain, unless someone on the bus sat next to them in their kippered clothes.

In America for instance-on some trains there are smoking carriages. Special ly equipped with tables chairs and lots of large ash trays. where people can go for a desperate drag. No food or drink allowed-and they are watched. They are well used.
Some are disgustingly basic with stub proof tables and chairs bolted down. Others are surprisingly pleasant, pungient but Idont think they would notice.

Anyone found smoking elswhere on the train is put off at the next stop.
Not funny if they are on a 2,3,or more day, journey across country.

Iwas reading about patients in hospitals standing or sitting outside smoking -knee deep in dog ends. Can't be healthy...and what about cross infection from the public who are there too. MRSA and other bugs taken back to the wards---and they cut down visiting times to keep the general public out.

A special room for smokers on each ward with no TV or other distraction ,sealed off from the ward with a ventilator in the roof or ceiling would be a better idea, allowing patients to smoke for a short period, if they agreed to undertake treatment --patches etc whilst they are there.
I'm digressing now...
In my other life Iwas a nurse . Patients were definitely not allowed to smoke.
How they managed with an addiction I dont know- but they did.
Also visitors were restricted, add Never allowed to sit on beds.
Hygiene was at least 75% better to in those days.
I say bring back the Matrons---dragons that they were!
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

IS ANYONE THERE ON W.O.L?