PDA

View Full Version : Kwik Save - Nuneaton

Shizara
30-05-2007, 05:56 PM
It comes as no surprise whatsoever that Kwik Save, Nuneaton is one of the 79 stores that has closed the doors. Stock levels have fluctuated regularly and even the most standard of things eg bottled water, tea bags even dishwashing liquid had been replaced by shelves of air. It is fair to say that from time to time an order would come in and items would reappear. Of late other items had appeared on shelves, specifically, non-food kitchen items rather more substantial that a potato peeler or a grater.

Most customers can go to another supermarket but it may well be harder for staff to find new jobs. Likely, being front-line staff, they have put up with some flack from customers disappointed even annoyed perhaps at not being able to get the things that they need and discovering that they will need to go elsewhere for them. I am sure they have tried to provide a good customer service, but it is certainly not easy when you have to tell the customer that you haven't got any more stock of whatever item they are looking for and not much of an idea when or even if there will be more.

It will now be interesting to see what happens to the buildings once they are vacated.

dj support
01-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I would be very verry happy to have a look around the 'house of laser' building i like old buildings even better if there disused but that is such a prominent land mark in nuneaton it should be tidied up and turned into something usefull - not a shop but i dunno something, if i ever saw it demolished id be unhapp as its quite a uniqe looking building!

cathidaw
02-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Iwent into Quiksave in Ball hill Coventry on Monday.There was hardly anything on the shelves- beautifully stacked piles of beans, pickles, and tinfoil. Exactly what the average shopper needs for a hungry family.
Iasked the manager if they were closing and he said he didnt think so-they were waiting for stock. But they havent had stock for ages. I heard a rumour last year that Morrisons were taking over but then pulled out.
I went in for eggs which they hadn't got but I was given a free carrier bag to take home a cream egg. They used to be 4p.

Leofric
02-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Iwent into Quiksave in Ball hill Coventry on Monday.There was hardly anything on the shelves- beautifully stacked piles of beans, pickles, and tinfoil. Exactly what the average shopper needs for a hungry family.
Iasked the manager if they were closing and he said he didnt think so-they were waiting for stock. But they havent had stock for ages. I heard a rumour last year that Morrisons were taking over but then pulled out.
I went in for eggs which they hadn't got but I was given a free carrier bag to take home a cream egg. They used to be 4p.

The one on Ball Hill has been like this for months. It was up for auction last year.

Some background: Kwik Save was bought by Somerfield, who rebranded some KwiK Save stores as Somerfield, closed a few more (The one on Binley Road is going to be demolished and turned into a LIDL) and then sold the remains of Kwik Save to a bunch of people called "BTTF". BTTF have cashflow problems, and therefore can't get the stock. They managed to secure 50 million from investors, but it seems they still have cash flow problems.

The site on Ball Hill I would have thought would be a prime site, but Ball Hill looks to be in decline, with all the high profile stores closing down and being replaced by bargain stores. A while back they tried to open stuff like Delis and Thai restaurants, but they all closed down. I notice D&A have shut down, and the fireplace store is now a 99p store, and the nice Pizza Place now advetises "Eastern Fried Chicken"... Lot of closed down shops. Shame.

[Lived on Ball Hill for 4 years in the late 1990s, early 2000s - moved away to the other side of the city, and it was like moving to a different town altogether]

Shizara
13-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Have heard that Kwik Save is to reopen tomorrow - Wednesday. Have not heard whether this is long term or just to get rid of the stock.

Shizara
15-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Further to that...

They were supposed to open Wednesday just gone. It didn't happen. Yesterday morning someone was told that they expected to open tomorrow - which is today - but probably the weekend. Well, it isn't open today the shutters are down.

Shizara
17-06-2007, 04:18 PM
It didn't reopen yesterday, though I believe a truck was seen there. Have to wonder if it was to take goods away rather than deliver. As for today I think it is time to rename the store from Kwik Save to No Save.

I decided to go into town and get some basics plus some ice creams from Co-op. A bad idea with regard to the ice creams. Literally only minutes away and the temperatures today not exactly excessive I found that they weren't ice cream at all, more like milk shakes. Refreezing for consumption is a bad idea besides you don't know how long they have been thawed. Returning them today is a non option as they close at 4 pm. So it might be a case of binning them and making a mental note not to purchase from the freezer there.

dj support
17-06-2007, 07:11 PM
oooooh the drama lol!

Shizara
17-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Of course! Where would we be without it? :clapping:

cathidaw
17-06-2007, 08:01 PM
I was told this today, A shopkeeper in Ball Hill heard through the grapevine that Quicksave had applied to some Asian wholesalers in Birmingham for stock and have been turned down unless they paid up front.

Co-op--------try the one in Bulkington.. Free parking, friendly staff, and all you need.

Shizara
30-08-2007, 08:16 AM
The building previously used by Kwik Save is still closed though I often notice that at night the interior lights are on, possibly for security reasons. Might be a prime opportunity for Tesco there. The nearest is not within walking distance unless you take a packed lunch and a drink then make a day outing out of it.

dj support
30-10-2007, 05:57 PM
the whole buildings up for sale i read in the paper just recently. i'd love to look in side the upstairs half must be massive...

Shizara
06-11-2008, 02:37 AM
An update on Kwik Save...

I have it on reliable information that it is to be demolished. A bit of a stunner that one. You would have to wonder what they propose to put on the site. More flats?

cathidaw
06-11-2008, 11:26 PM
maybe a new bank.

timberdog
07-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I am glad that the dump of a shop has gone!!!

it is past its sell by date.....lol.....:105:

cathidaw
07-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I never went there , but speaking of dumps--once I went into Netto , by the railway bridge in Nuneaton.. !!!!!

Shizara
07-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Well, it is currently still there, but, now has some barriers around the front, so, I daresay work will begin very soon.

AndyK
10-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Stumbled on this searching google for stories on Kwik Save/Co-op Hall's impending doom.

I got my first part time job there, during the summer of 2002 when I left school. Worked weekends and the odd week night, and then holidays during time off from college. I went to uni in 2004, but returned to work in summer/christmas/easter hols up until 2007. Had a blast, still the best job I've had for the sheer fun we used to have. I'll be very sad to see it go. I wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for that place - quite literally! My nan and grandad met at a dance in the Co-op hall many moons ago.

While I worked there plans were drawn up to refurbish the whole place as a Somerfield and move the front of the store from facing Queen's Road to facing the car park instead. It was far too costly though, and it involved pretty much rebuilding the whole place from the basement to the roof. There were many problems with the roof during the years I worked there. During one winter water started pooring into Kwik Save through its ceiling, as damage to the very top of the building, and all the floors under it, was so bad that water got all the way through to the ground floor.

If anyone's up for chaining themselves to the building when the bulldozers arrive I'm all for it ;)

dj support
14-11-2008, 05:17 PM
They have knocked one side of the wall down to day (facing car park) you can see all the hall... I think its such a shame :-(

Shizara
27-11-2008, 02:03 PM
The Old Hall is slowly disappearing. The back has gone and the sides are coming down from the top.

Shizara
06-12-2008, 07:26 PM
The Old Hall is fast disappearing... I have taken photos.. anyone interested?

Shizara
19-12-2008, 09:39 PM
I have a week off now so will devote bit of time sorting the piccies and uploading them. At least it will be some sort of pictorial record of the Old Hall.