PDA

View Full Version : Roundabout Sculpture

Will
10-04-2007, 10:47 AM
It seems the ugly monstrosity on the Banbury road is non too popular. I still haven't driven past it yet, but I saw this picture and I can see why it's not been received too well.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42780000/jpg/_42780163_armillary203.jpg

I've never really understood why councils up and down the country, feel such a strong urge to add art to roundabouts. Apparently it is supposed to show the life and times of Shakespeare. Whether this is something you have time to study as you're driving around it remains to be seen.

I personally think it's entirely possible that if they'd found somewhere half-decent to put his £100,000 structure, rather then a roundabout, it may have stood a half decent chance of being popular. But art on roundabouts generally says to me 'tacky', 'pointless', 'art for art's sake', 'clashing hideously with it's surroundings'.

Apparently there was a public consultation about it, but I don't remember getting consulted, there was certainly nothing in the papers. Exactly what are the bare minimum requirements for a public consultation?

chillitt
10-04-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm sure it will be lovely when it gets a tarp thrown over it and some hippy types move in...:eek:

Will
11-04-2007, 01:46 PM
I had the pleasure of driving round it yesterday, such was my disbelief I think I drove round it about 5 times. I was open minded to start with, thinking maybe it will look better in real life. How wrong could I have been? It looked considerably worse, it is such an eyesore and up close just looks even more tacky.

Apparently people have been winding down their windows to shout abuse at the structure. I think this is a little unfair, as it's not the structure's fault it was designed badly and put there, it's doing the best it can.

cathidaw
11-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I believe we get used to these things after a time.-maybe not this tho' imagine when it's all rusty.From your photo it looks like a framework of oan old nissan hut..
When Ifirst saw the 'Angel of the North' in Gateshead Icould not believe that it was a permanent structure, and the comments of the locals were unprintable. BUT, now it is accepted and they are very protective of it.
When I go Ifeel at home with it.(perhaps relief that Iam nearly in Newcastle )
The blue ribbon along the Foleshill road too, Ithink is quite attractive and brightens up a drab grey road.
I cant think why we dont get 'real 'statues any more. I suppose it's out of fashion now but Iam quite sure a Rodin type one would be appreciated by most people who like to recognise a sculpture. I'm not sure what or who I would choose to have though---we dont appear to have any great people any more. Any ideas?
Iwould like to see a statue of Leofric and Godiva some where in Coventry---a really romantic one.
I love the ones in Stratford Park.

Will
12-04-2007, 05:47 PM
I've always liked the Angel of the north, it's a good piece of artwork. Had something to that calibre been built in Stratford, and not put on a meaningless roundabout in a meaningless place, I'm sure it would be welcomed a whole lot more.

The "artist" of the Stratford "sculpture" has been defending his mostrosity, claiming it's relevant to Stratford because they had armillarys at the same time as Shakspeare. No wonder it cost £100,000 with such creative genius as that! He's even been arrogant enough to suggest that the sculpture will one day be loved as much as the Statue of Liberty!

Oh, and the "public consultation" was actually just a planning permission notice, which of course is open to public consultation. Hardly a openly public consultation was it? Had it been a genuine public consultation, I imagine the proposal would have disappeared down another great 16th century invention; the 'flush toilet'!

BBC NEWS | England | Coventry/Warwickshire | Controversial sculpture defended (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/6548665.stm)

Sandman
12-04-2007, 06:15 PM
How can I put this without being to crude?

I wouldn't waste my wee on this structure.

Shizara
12-04-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm sure it will be lovely when it gets a tarp thrown over it and some hippy types move in...:eek:

Now, there's an idea.... wonder if the council will charge them ground rent :rolleyes:

Leofric
12-04-2007, 11:34 PM
It seems the ugly monstrosity on the Banbury road is non too popular. I still haven't driven past it yet, but I saw this picture and I can see why it's not been received too well.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42780000/jpg/_42780163_armillary203.jpg

I've never really understood why councils up and down the country, feel such a strong urge to add art to roundabouts. Apparently it is supposed to show the life and times of Shakespeare. Whether this is something you have time to study as you're driving around it remains to be seen.

I personally think it's entirely possible that if they'd found somewhere half-decent to put his £100,000 structure, rather then a roundabout, it may have stood a half decent chance of being popular. But art on roundabouts generally says to me 'tacky', 'pointless', 'art for art's sake', 'clashing hideously with it's surroundings'.

Apparently there was a public consultation about it, but I don't remember getting consulted, there was certainly nothing in the papers. Exactly what are the bare minimum requirements for a public consultation?

It's because the country is now filled with towns that have become sprawls of dual carriagways, main roads and large roundabouts and pretty soulless and characterless. They're just trying to make these spaces look a bit more interesting. Not everyone likes the same things, which is unfortunate. If they put something on the roundabout you like, then there'd be other people who wouldn't like it.

One of the roundabouts in Coventry has a blue twirl in it to represent Coventry's ribbon weaving heritage. Britain's towns and cities are filled with public art dating back centuries. It's not a new thing.

I don't know why anyone's so bothered about it. The fact that Statford's been turned into a dreadful Ye Olde Stratford theme park, complete with US chain coffee bars is far more disgraceful than a piece of art on a roundabout!

Will
12-04-2007, 11:45 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Ye Olde Stratford theme park, and the roundabout that talent forgot, are one in the same thing.

Madhatter
12-04-2007, 11:46 PM
I agree with leofric on this, and I like it, I like it because it's different and it's not put somewhere were different matters. It's on a soulless roundabout. and lots of roundabouts now have something on them. Brightens my trips out up.

Madhatter
12-04-2007, 11:52 PM
If you have an ye ol stratford theme park for tourists, which you should have as you're getting the biggest chunk of this counties funding, then it's going to pot a bit like the now defunct American adventure theme park did. The themeing's gone and the park need an extensive maintenance overhaul.
A chrome bridge over the river is like putting a space ship ride in the middle of American adventure. I wonder if it will have the same effect on stratford.

Denny Crane
22-06-2007, 04:51 PM
I like it. It has style and character, more than parts of Stratford have.
Thumbs up to the council for this beautiful piece of architechture.

Shizara
22-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Welcome to WarwickshireOnline Denny Crane.

Have they started creating the bridge? I haven't been to Stratford for a while so haven't taken any photos there for a couple of years.

cathidaw
23-06-2007, 12:11 AM
I saw this 'sculpture last week.
It looks like a giant half buried giroscope.

A large Roden would look good, especially on a roundabout.Perhaps 'The Thinker'
we could all circle the roundabout a few times while we are thinking about which way to go to get out of Ye Olde Sratford.

Mari
21-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I was in Stratford about a month ago , where there was a group petitioning against this new 17th century geometry instrument sculpture. I must say I was one of those who did not like it.

:(

Mari
21-07-2007, 11:00 AM
I also understand that there are plans to cut down trees in Bancroft gardens, to make a more open view to the theatre. I think this is a potty idea, and should leave the park in its lovely appearance as it is. I don't know how the Council can even contemplate such vandalism.
What do others think on this matter ?

:rolleyes:

Will
21-07-2007, 01:17 PM
They want to cut about 40 trees down I think. What gets me is the Bancroft gardens are my favourite part of STratford. Near the top is one of the last refuges from the crowdes and the tourists, and boasts from beautiful trees. THe council wants to turn most of it into pathways and more tourist attractions.

Tourists and money, that's all that seems to matter. It won't be long before the open fields the other side of the river are dug up and turned into more shops and houses. It's my firm belief that this is the real reason for the bridge. I don't think they'll be happy until every blade of grass in Stratford is uprooted.

The worst part is, Stratford does badly need modernising. But the council seem to want to do this at the expence of Stratford's natural beauty, and by installing ugly buildings that in no one fit in with their surroundings. The new RSC is going to look incredably tacky, just like the new (and already largely unused) bell court.

The "sculpure" on the banbury road is just one example of how they get it so wrong. It's not only ugly, it's completely and utterly irrelivant. It doesn't have to be about Shakespear, but it could at least have something to do with the market town we know as STratford Upon Avon!

Rant over!

Mari
21-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Will,

I was in Bancroft Gardens on the 7th July when there was a group holding a petition about the felling of the trees and the plans for a new bridge. My husband and I signed the petition. The group of people holding the protest were , i think ,called - Stratford Vioce- and they said they are setting up a website. so I gave them my details.
here is a link
Sign-A-Thon weekend brings Human Rights to the fore - Stratford upon Avon - Latest Local News (http://www.thebestof.co.uk/stratford%20upon%20avon/news/4622)

I think locals should be up in arms about these proposals.:mad:

Mari
21-07-2007, 07:45 PM
18 July 2007
The plans to fell and replace trees in the Bancroft Gardens, in Stratford-upon-Avon, succeeded when the rug was pulled from under the feet of protesters.

To consider World Class Stratford's proposals for redeveloping the gardens and the recreation ground, Stratford District Council’s west area planning committee met and at that time, Cllr Richard Hobbs (Cons, Snitterfield), the chairman declared that the trees were not for discussion.

A cry of "disgraceful” was provoked from the public gallery by his comment and later, his action was described as "dishonest" by former Stratford mayor, Cllr Bill Lowe.

The planning application which includes re-landscaping the gardens and 'rec' and, controversially, replacing the lockbridge at the entrance to the canal basin was agreed by the committee to approve unanimously.

Objectors to the tree scheme protested in the Bancroft Gardens on 7th July.

Will
22-07-2007, 05:00 PM
The worst part Mari. Is the council have yet to give a single justification for these extremely expencive alterations, and why it was necessay to come up with a plan that meant taking down so many of the trees which have probably been there since Shakespeare's days.

It is shameful. I'm still in favour of Stratford getting modernised, but modernised doesn't have to mean destroying what we already have, and changing buildings to something you could imagine being sold at Ikea.

World class Stratford is a joke, because the people who are in charge of it, clearly have no idea, and are completely uninterested in the opinions of the people who live here.

cathidaw
23-07-2007, 10:03 AM
IT'S THE SAME HERE IN COVENTRY.
Medieval Coventry,--a few bits left, it's a joke.
Piecemeal building , big ideas.
Got some money--let's use it on a new hairbrained scheme which no-one wants, forget the holes in the roads. That ancient building there?--let it rot until it's too far gone , then we can knock it down and build a new monstrosity, or make a new one way system.
Anything for money.
Last week I went to see The Coventry Charterhouse which was bequeathed to the citizens of Coventry by a benefactor .
It was a lovely mediaeval building by the river---lots of -our-money was spent on it in the 80s.
Now it is a boarded up wreck-part of it used by Tile hill College-but the rest , a mess, and the Elizabethan garden which was restored in the 8os at exraordinary expense, is no more than a wilderness.
Of course the people who planned all this have moved on to other towns-probably Stratford (beware) and cannot be blamed now, but we have a new lot every few years who do radical things and move on as before.
The problem also is that the people in charge are not interested in Coventry-don't want to know the 'feel' of it or the people---armchair planners.
The same goes for Stratford-upon Avon. You have to watch them ---and complain before it is too late---it can be done ---remember the glass spire that some joker decided was a 'must have' for Coventry? well that died a quick death after all the complaints. (I complained with a poem)