PDA

View Full Version : Can something be done to stop badgers being killed on the roads?

Geoff
13-03-2006, 03:47 PM
If it wasn't bad enough that the Government wants to cull thousands of this already endangered species, I'm seeing hundreds lying dead on the side of the road every day. I see at least one new road kill appear every week, while I'm driving to work in Reddich. I can't believe there is nothing that can be done, it breaks my heart to see so many of them slain like this. :(

Roger
19-03-2006, 07:25 PM
The problem with badgers is that there is just too many of them ! They do untold damage to nature eg eggs from birds nests (ground nesting birds) not to mention carrying bovine TB. More cattle have been slaughtered due to TB regulations than were killed in the foot and mouth outbreak. A sensible cull of badgers would tip the balance back into nature's favour

Geoff
19-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Actually, a government comissioned trial found that culling badgers has little to no effect on the spread of TB in cattle. The main cause of the spread of TB between cattle is (suprisingly) cattle.

Badgers are a protected species, and with good reason.

Shizara
25-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Probably the only way to stop roadkills of badges is to stop people using the roads. Have never encountered a badger except in the zoo. Do they sit on the road with their eyes mesmerised with your car headlights like the possums do?