PDA

View Full Version : World class Stratford Site

Will
31-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Just discovered this link for the site of 'World Class Stratford', a scheme that has so far received a fair old amount of criticism. Well worth looking at. :)

World Class Stratford-upon-Avon (http://www.worldclassstratford.net/)

TripeHoundRedux
31-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Hmm I'm new to this and it might just be a feature of the conceptual drawings, but all it's pretty souless.

Will
31-03-2007, 09:19 PM
You're not wrong, and a lot of people would seem to agree with you, including me. Every time they produce a new design for redevelopment, I can't help thinking 'if Ikea made designs for redevelopment, it would look like this. This is true of what they did to Bell Court, and seems to be just as true of the Bankcroft idea.

The worst part is, out of all the places in Stratford, I'd say the Bankcroft is the part in least need of redevelopment.

TripeHoundRedux
01-04-2007, 01:55 PM
It's that idiotic thing of redeveloping an area for no other reason than because it can be redeveloped.

Maybe they could pour some of the money into instead adding to the Butterfly Farm (which is great but could be better).

On a related point, I like the idea of giving the RST a Thrust Stage (I've always preferred that sort of theatre) but really everything doesn't have to be all up to the minute (read "cheap and swiftly dated) in simple angles and glass.

I actually went to a concert at one of Detroit's music halls yesterday and they've done a similar thing. What was a nice old venue now resembles a upscale bar M or something. Why can't architects (and civic planners) resist the allure of tattyness?

Will
01-04-2007, 03:40 PM
I think that's a great idea to improve the butterfly farm. I went there fairly recently, and while what was there is great, there isn't nearly enough of it.

I would say that the theatre could use some redevelopment, especially for the stage as you said. From some angles it's actually a pretty ugly building. But that's no reason to create a random monolith and a passe class corridor.

Rainbow
05-04-2007, 11:48 AM
What do people think of that sculpture/statue bit of art at the top of the Banbury Road i was parked up eating dinner the other day looking at it seems rather odd!

Will
05-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Hmm, I haven't seen that yet, but I'm off into town shortly so I shall take a look.

I do think though, that councils have a habit of comissioning art for the sake of it. We seem to get increasingly random bits of art, that rarely fits in with it's surroundings, where ever you go!

cathidaw
06-04-2007, 12:20 AM
While you are now on the subject of sculptures and statues now lets hear or see photos of your favourite --or favourite hated .
One I think is a most beautiful statue is the 'fine lady of Banbury Cross',
(not the cross itself).She is so delicately sculpted and so is her horse. Very fairy tale. And right on the corner on a main road - not tucked away.
We need more beauty in our lives.