PDA

View Full Version : new scam== help please

cathidaw
26-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Ihad to have my lock changed as Id lost my keys to front doo.r.
It was very late at night and I managed to get someone out after phoning around to about 5 '24 hour locksmiths' who either didn't answer or couldnt come
. We agreed £90.00. When the job was finished Ioffered him a cheque as I had not 90.00 cash in my house. He said he would have to charge 100.00 . When I challenged it he got touchy and said," I have to pay vat and taxes and all manner of things you just wouldn't know about" ( I do know -Ihave a business .) Isaid he should put in his ad, cash only
I paid up as i was alone in the house the house at the time, my family were all out
Next day Iphoned him up to ask for his vat no. and he said he was going to register in April .
Obviously he is pocketing money without paying tax--which Iam aware many do, but what do Ido now
Ishould shop him. but he will know who Iam-and then what.

opinions please

P.S. I HAVE NOW DECIDED WHAT TO DO BUT WOULD VALUE COMMENTS

Will
26-03-2007, 07:34 PM
If he charged you VAT and he's not registered for VAT, I'm pretty sure that comes under the fraud prevention act. You could simply report him to the police, and they will take it from there and the courts will force him to pay your money back.

Or if you're not feeling that vindictive towards him, you could phone him and threaten legal action. He then has the option to pay you back the money; after which you should report him to the police anyway.

I doubt he makes enough money to warrant paying VAT, so I doubt he's planning on registering any time soon, and will go on to continue to con people out of money.

optrex
27-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Dont vat issues come under customs, aka HMRC HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/)

Shizara
27-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Did he give you a receipt? If not, at least when you paid by cheque you have some proof that you paid. I don't like paying cash for some services as it is good to have a paper trail so to speak. That must have been a dreadful experience. Losing your keys is a ghastly experience in itself, but not being able to get into your home late at night and being on your own having to find a 24 hour locksmith must have been dreadful. You handled it well and certainly at that hour your safety comes first, paying up when you didand the way that you did gets you into your home whereby you are safer and can sort the rest later. Well done.

Madhatter
27-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Chances are he was very likely covering himself incase he gets stung for TAX not vat, he did the job on the side and at that time of night where you are he probably did it cheap. Cash can be straight in his pocket, maybe right or wrong in your opinion but in his he's getting away with paying as little tax as possible, which most would do if they could. A cheque can be picked up by inland revenue.
Now did he do a good clean job?
If so give the guy a break and be greatfull your in.
Shame i wasn't around i'd have done it for a vat free drink.

Ive just re read that, are you saying you were in your house already and just needed a barrel changing?

cathidaw
28-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Thanks for everyones comments.
Yes Iwas in the house.Had been out and got back late.Then a few minutes later could not find my keys. Ihad been getting stuff from my car and thought Ihad dropped them in th garden so was out there with a torch and couldn't see them so called the locksmith.
Istill havent found them by the way.
He did a goodish job-left a big mess as he had to drillout the hole. ,but am grateful that Iwas lucky enough to get it done so quickly-especially as the others didn't answer

Madhatter
05-04-2007, 09:30 PM
eh? :confused:
Drill out what hole? for what? If youre in the house, how did you get in?
and if the door was open why did he need to drill anything?