PDA

View Full Version : is there any childfriendly pubs in nuneaton?

claires22
17-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Im would be very interested to find out if there is any child friendly pubs left in Nuneaton? :help: It seems that after the last few years of pubs welcoming the younger generation into their premises, this is no longer the case. i only say this as i took my two children to my local pub (The fleur de leys on coventry road) where on the door it tells parents that they can taking in there children but only until 7 o'clock. This is not a problem as i can understand that later in the evening pubs and clubs are smokey and a unsafe place to be. But this says to me that before that children are welcome. Only this wasn't the case. Within 5 minuets of us arriving my child was shouted out by the landlord and told to not shout? fine if he was a 10 year old but he is two. Being shouted at by a man at that age is not only intimidating but surely pointless as he would not have had a clue what he was shouting at him for. After this i was then shouted to from across the room and told by the landlord that he was giving me a warning for my child shouting. I told him he was two and with that went and took my son away from him, in the hope that the landlord was having some sort of twisted joke. Only about 15 minuets later my son shouted again at another child who was playing with his toy. Now i think its important to say that by this time my son had only shouted a total of three times and it was not a continuous problem he was not running around and causing a problem. With this latest shout the land lord informed me that he was giving me a final warning before he asked me to leave! I find this unbelievable have we really gone back to the generation where children should be seen and not heard? How would a man like this propose that i stop my two year old from talking maybe we should bring out a great new child gagging system.
And it seems like i am not alone in this case after talking to friends about this problem they too have stories where they have been reprimanded by pub owners for children being children.
My guess is that once the no smoking laws come in it will be these same pubs that will be trying to reach out to the family unit for there custom.
So again i will ask my question is there really any place in Nuneaton that is child friendly? Where children can go and parents can be sure that they will not be made to feel like there child needs a ASBO for raising his voice? Where children are made to feel welcome as long as of course they are not running a riot? i think that it would be a great if people could let other parents know what are the best pubs in the town for families. And more importantly lets the families of nuneaton know which ones treat them fairly, understand that the family unit is a hugely important part of britain and be proud of it.
so has anyone got any suggestions? cause myself and my friends would love to know! :D
tia

Will
17-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Sounds like a major over-reaction on the Landlord's half. Like you said, he's going to have to get used to it when the smoking band takes effect, as pubs are likely to become much more family orientated again.

We've got a few people here from Nuneaton, I'm sure one of them will be able to point you in the direction of a good pub. ;)

Shizara
17-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Hmm... whilst I live in Nuneaton am not going to be much help there as I am a non smoker so tend to avoid an environment if it is likely to be smokey which means a visit to a pub is an extremely rare event.

cathidaw
17-03-2007, 11:34 PM
There are places where children are allowed later than 7.
Why not try the Liberal club or somewhere like that. There are some nice clubs in Bulkington too.I have seen kids there ,til late and people dont mind - most people take their families It's possibly the only kind of place there is if you want a night out with sociable people
Personally I do not like going to a pub at night (to get away from my own kids) to be surrounded by other peoples children running about and probably crawling under my table.
I think in a normal pub 7 is about right.

claires22
18-03-2007, 09:04 AM
cathidaw i agree with the 7 o'clock time as thats really late enough for my two. and i will have to take a look at clubs. thanks for the idea.
My opinion is that people who run pubs need to be very clear in their minds about what direction they want to take their business in, make it clear and obvious to the customers what sort of place it is, and they should stick to it. Nothing worse than these places that are half-hearted about what they are, that just results in potentially spoiling everybody's enjoyment. People wanting a quiet drink or adult time get cross to find kids present.... families find themselves getting in trouble about a bit of noise.... That's just rubbish and shouldn't happen. It's just because the landlord can't be bothered to create a proper identity. I'd love to believe that ultimately it's landlords like that who will suffer for their slack attitude to their business but we will just have to wait and see.

cathidaw
18-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Hi,
Ialso think that Landlords should provide a room where we can take children -with things to do.They would get more trade.
Sometimes I go to a pub at Griff-forget what it's called where ther is a ballcage .My grandchildren love it.
We-my daughter and I, meet each other- halfwayfrom where we each live -at the Holiday inn at the end of Warwick bypass. They have a kids thing there.
some places give kids crayons and colouring pictures. Wouldn't it be a good idea to give a prize for the best every week as some do when we go abroad.
It would keep even the older ones quiet as they are very competitive