PDA

View Full Version : Godiva Festival

Will
08-03-2007, 08:53 PM
It's on 13th-15th July and I'm quite tempted to go, can't get better value then a free festival. Anyone here going or been before? WHat's it like?

JimC
09-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Dont miss it, I had a brilliant time year before last (I didnt make last years) but definatly going this year as I live just over the road from the memorial park now.

I went from Rugby last time and it was well worth it. Lots of bands aswell as stalls and all sorts going on. Was really good fun.

Jim

Will
09-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi Jim, welcome to the ol'forums. :)

Do they have much alternative music there? I'm very into alternative dance/electronic for instance.

JimC
09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Will,
Well my cup of tea is UK Hip-Hop and year before last they had one of the best UK HipHop rappers there called Skinnyman. I was very impressed, they also had some reggae in the same tent. Im not sure about electo/dance but I think they had a few tents so its bound to be going on somewhere. I liked the atmosphere too, lots of people chilling out sitting on the grass just chatting.

Looking at the website it seems they are running a talent competition to decide on acts but if its like when I went they will have both local and national talent there.

Godiva Festival 2006 (http://www.godivafestival.co.uk)

Will
09-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Ahh, I'm always partial to a bit of Reggae and Ska as well. Not big on hip hop, I go about as far as Massive attack in that genre. :)

I think I'll have to go this year. I haven't been able to fill the void since they stopped doing the phoenix festival. I love Glasto, but I haven't been in years, and getting tickets is so much hassle.

JimC
09-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I've never been to Glast but the 'Mega festivals' always dissapoint me slightly too many people and too far from the stage (been to reading a few times)

Definatly go, you wont be dissapointed and you cant grumble at free :clapping:

Will
09-03-2007, 09:44 PM
You're right about that. :)

I've always loved Glasto so much, is because it's got far more to it then just great music, it's more of an arts festival then a music fest. I usually find myself distracted long before I get to the band I was planning on seeing. :)

Bubblychick
05-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi Will, back again, long time no write!

I can recommend this Will. I've been several years running and the atmosphere is great, and there's something for everyone.

Not often we get something for nothing!

I've been lucky with the weather too - though most entertainment is in individual marquees anyway, so not a problem if weather differs.

Go, you'll enjoy it.

BC

Will
05-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi BC!

Good to see you back, missed having your around. The more I think about it, the more I'd really like to go to this, doubly so if the weather is like it was today.

Ali 1
01-05-2007, 10:29 PM
I went last year with my partner and daughter. It was definitely worth it. Lovely weather, lots to do. Great music and atmosphere.

Shizara
11-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Hiya JimC and welcome!

Bubblychick, good to see you back again!

I watch ahead to see when there are festivals and carnivals. Generally speaking, as I work 3 weekends out of 4 I miss a vast majority of these events so if anyone is going.... photos please!!