PDA

View Full Version : A credit card scam

optrex
07-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Now let me say that at this stage I have no idea if this was a scam or just a genuine mistake.

I went to pay for a takeaway curry the other day at one of the few places that takes a card. They guy handed me the machine to enter my pin (1234 for the purpose of demonstration). I entered the pin and just before I handed it back noticed the price £12.34

Realising the price was not correct I told them it was wrong and they cancelled the transaction - with one receipt for me and one for him! Nice as he now has a paper record of my PIN!

I also am aware that they can do "cardless" transations (by phone or if the card is not working) by entering the card number. Alarm bells rang and as soon as I exited the shop I changed the pin number on my card at the ATM.

Anyone else come across this?

Will
07-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Receipts show pin numbers? You sure?

optrex
08-03-2007, 09:57 AM
He handed me the unit at the point where it asked for the vendor to input the price, while saying to me "put your pin in and press enter".

So as I put in my pin the machine registered it as the price, so a pin of 1234 became a price or £12.34

Your comment is interesting because it proves the subtlety of the situation.

chillitt
08-03-2007, 11:02 AM
call the police. call your credit card company. If it was a simple mistake then no more will come of it. better safe than sorry.

Will
08-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Ahh I see what you mean now, call the police.