PDA

View Full Version : Hartshill Castle

cathidaw
01-03-2007, 12:03 AM
ONE OF THE GEMS OF NORTH WARWICKSHIRE IS HARTSHILL CASTLE.

this ruined castle is being preserved by a friend of mine --the current owner -- a retired schoolteacher -who bought it 6 years ago to save it for posterity and the people of Nuneaton--and from vandals
.From the road it looks very attractive now and is responding to its T.L.C.- and from the castle itself is even more so.
The owner takes groups around occasionally and talks about the fascinating history--
. It had been for sale for some time- no-one wanted it and the council were not interested enough in their 'heritage- on- the- doorstep' enough to buy it. When Hartshill Hayes country park was developed it would have been a great asset, although it probably would have been so developed and 'sanitised ' it would have been ruined (pun intended)
I have some lovely photos which I shall put on this site soon---if I may.
Inside the walls one can almost forget that Nuneaton is only down the road and Hartshill so near

optrex
01-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I would love to see the pics of the castle - I didn't know there was one

Will
01-03-2007, 02:25 PM
I'd like to see some pics too. Also it might be a good idea to add a marker to our interactive map cathidaw.

Madhatter
01-03-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't agree with it being left, It should be rebuilt to what it was meant to be, a castle.
Last I heard, the owner filled the valley in to build a house on it.

Shizara
01-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Madhatter, like the others I look forward to seeing your pictures of the castle.

Madhatter
02-03-2007, 01:57 AM
I've never took a picture of the castle but I do look forward to seeing these.
Whats the chances of a group of us going ?

cathidaw
02-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Tomorrow Iwill see my friend who owns this castle to see if she will arange a visit.
This place has been neglected for many years
The east wall- facing the road- had an Elizabethan house built on the inside of side of it..The fireplace and chimneys are still there to see.
It also had a moat Part of which is still there --and a bayley to the north, outside the wall which is patt of Hartshill hayes Ithink.
Iam hazy about the history but the owner would explain it better.
Some years ago it was used as a riding school which did not help.
Iwill endeavour to put photos on the photo pages.

Will
03-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Wow, this looks an amazing place to explore. I'd really like to know the exact location.

http://www.warwickshireonline.com/photoplog/images/98/medium/1_P6040125_copy4.jpg

That's a great picture too Cath.

cathidaw
03-03-2007, 01:10 PM
The photograph is copyrighted to M D Wilson

tHE ONE OF matthew in the stocks is mine

cathidaw
03-03-2007, 01:17 PM
If you are going through Hartshill (towards the clock bridge or Dobbies garden centre ,this is on the left ==in Hartshill itself.
Iwill not say you can't miss it because you can- its so unexpected, the road is busy and the field faces a block of hideous 70s flats

Will
03-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Could you tell me where it is on this map Cath?

cathidaw
05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Will --HOPE YOU GOT MY INSTRUCTIONS.
If not, the place is about where the name Hartshill is on your map.
Quite surprisingly it is on Castle rd.
Right now the fields surrounding the castle are ankle deep in mud .and the nosey horses don't help.
Last week I went in with plastic carrier bags covering my shoes, held on with elastic bands. Forgot the wellies!
It would be best to wait 'til it's a bit drier for a visit, which can easily be arranged with the owner.
It is the most beautiful place in Spring and.especially when the Mayblossom is out.
Ishall send some more photo's later.

Will
06-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Yes I got your instructions, but unfortunately castle road is quite long, and I don't see anything that obviously looks like a castle. Hence me asking if any of the places I've highlighted are correct?

cathidaw
07-03-2007, 09:27 PM
If you go from the Nuneaton direction and pass what they call 'Hartshill green' on your left- (there is a pub there too I cant rememberthe name) and, driving carefully along the main road, on the left you will see some flats-whitish colour.The castle is opposite the flats. the other side of a low wall across a sloping field. If you see a sign saying cemetery- you have just passed it.You can only see the ruined wall from the road.
I shall be going latish next Monday morning with my wellies or plastic bags on my feet.

Will
07-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi Cath,

I only really have the satellite image to go on, not living near the area. If you could just show me if I've got it right from any of the points I've indicated on the image above, that would be the best way. :)

Will
07-03-2007, 09:55 PM
This image is the one I meant rather.

cathidaw
09-03-2007, 04:13 PM
hi , Idont know how to mark your map.but castle rd is not very long and on the google map it is facing castle view but it is not clear . Ithink the photo was taken before the foliage was removed so all you see is a green patch.
My garden looks the same too so the maps must be fairly old.
I'm afraid the only thing to do is to bravely go into the depths of North Warwickshire and see for yourself. It is not too alien here.

Many years ago =in my other life =I was a nurse at Warnford hospital and lived in Woodcote rd, leam.spa so it was quite a culture shock to come here -I must have been a snobby so and so .but I integrated well and hope I have improved.

Will
09-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Was just after a general idea if the marks I'd made were correct or not, or if it were possible to explain where it was in relation to them. As much as I'd like to mark on our interactive map where this castle is, I'm not going on a trip to North Warwickshireshire to do it. :)

cathidaw
09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Scared ?

Will
11-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Nope, just a long way to go just so I can put a mark on a map. :)

kianmiles
03-04-2007, 04:10 PM
hi everyone, i have been helping the owner of the castle ruins today as comunity service and i have quite enjoyed it. the place is so beautiful, Jean the lady who owns it has done a marvelous job, so if anyone wants to see the place, it would be a great experience for anyone interested in that kind of thing, kian

Will
03-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi Kian, welcome to the boards! I'd definately come and visit if it were a bit more local to me. Having said that, I'm sure web related business will take me up there at some point. I'm hoping to do a page on the castle for my information pages at some point, so I'll probably need some info from you guys about it. :)

Darkcrystal
28-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Hiya,

I found your thread very interesting, and am trying to collate information about this ruin, I have seen the Castle many times from the car. But have not actually walked by it. (as I understand there is a footpath that runs alongside it?)

Julie

Shizara
30-08-2007, 06:38 AM
Have been down that road a few times - as a passenger - but never managed to spot the castle. I think you will find Cathidaw is possibly the most knowledgeable on these particular castle ruins.

A big welcome ot Warwickshire Online!

Darkcrystal
30-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi,

And thanks for the welcome!

If you are travelling from the A5, you come up woodford rd, then under the railway bridge, straight on up and past "clock hill". then you come to the "green" with the Stag & Pheasant on LHS and Michael Drayton flats on RHS (Drayton Court).
Carry on past the Society of Friends chapel, (on LHS) as you go up the road you come to some 1950's flats? that are on the left hand side, directly oppposite is a field, this is where the castle is, It is set back from the road quite a way, and if you blink then you will miss it.....lol.

I do hope that helps, I did try to put in a more accurate placement on your "map" as the one that is currently there is way off the mark. :D

Hopefully, cathidaw will be about soon and be in touch.

Julie

cathidaw
30-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Hallo dark crystal, I received your message but could not access it
I do know it is about Hartshill Castle.
What would you like to know?
A friend of mine owns the castle . She bought it about 7or 8 years ago and also the land at the back right up to the cemetery and has spent a lot of time and money preserving it for posterity---
It is private property and is preserved under the Harold Lapworth Trust.but she does take people around by appointment-also groups of schoolchildren, brownies and adult groups.
I like this place-it has a great charm and atmosphere-especially early in the morning.

Darkcrystal
30-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Hallo dark crystal, I received your message but could not access it
I do know it is about Hartshill Castle.
What would you like to know?
A friend of mine owns the castle . She bought it about 7or 8 years ago and also the land at the back right up to the cemetery and has spent a lot of time and money preserving it for posterity---
It is private property and is preserved under the Harold Lapworth Trust.but she does take people around by appointment-also groups of schoolchildren, brownies and adult groups.
I like this place-it has a great charm and atmosphere-especially early in the morning.

Hi,
Yes I saw that your friend owns it, The long and short of it is that I am tracing my husbands family tree, and his family lived there. I am just trying to collate info about the place and wondered if either yourself or the present owner, could possibly assist?

cathidaw
31-08-2007, 12:07 AM
If I can help you I will.
My son has been researching Hartshill Castle since 1990 and the first part of his book will -hopefully- be out this year.
What were the names of your family who lived there, and when ?
Did they live in the bungalow or in the Elizabethan house which was built inside the castle walls
I have co-edited some of this book so I may know of them.

Darkcrystal
31-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi Cathidaw,
My husbands family are the Moore family, they actually lived In the elizabethan house, I'm not sure when they moved into the house, but I do know that they were living there in the latter half of the 19c.

I have looked for documentation, wills and suchlike, but I havent been very lucky, as yet!

If you would like, PM me and i will send you my email addy, as i'm not sure that you can see my Pm's? but if i replied to one you have sent that might work?

kind regards

Ariel_vh
22-04-2011, 10:12 AM
As a child I lived near the castle,it was one of my favourite playgrounds.I do'nt know who owned it then but we were never told to clear off.
I recall that on the inside of the rear wall,low down, someone had carved " I am in despair".It appeared very old and us children often speculated who could have done it.
A couple of school friends claimed to have found iron arrow heads around the castle,I did see some of them but I was never convinced that they came from the castle.
Another place of interest to us children was Ansley Hall the home of the Phillips family who also owned a couple of coal mines.One of the Philips children married Princess Anne.
We liked to go to Oldbury Hall, from the fields behind the site of the hall it is possible to see as far as Derbyshire...Les

bdfnuneaton
07-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Please could you tell me who owns the Castle and do they have an e.mail contact address.
Thanks

cathidaw
08-06-2011, 03:39 PM
My friend owns the castle which is part of the Harold Lapworth trust. My son is also a trustee. Dedicated to preserve this place from vandals-- and also developers-- for posterity, the owner gives educational tours. It is private property , and the owner is not on line. I will speak to her and ask if I may give you her phone number.You can send me a private message on WOL.