PDA

View Full Version : Young drivers

Will
21-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Midlands today has been going on about this topic for a while now. They want to know if people think that it should be mandatory for new drivers to have the 'P' plates on their car for the first year.

Personally I think it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it will stop young drivers from having accidents. I had a radical idea that if a young driver is found guilty of a driving offence within their first year, they have to re-take the test.

Is that too harsh? Or will it teach young drivers to be extra careful from day one. What do people think?

chillitt
21-02-2007, 03:07 PM
If they get 6 points in their first 2 years, they get a ban and have to retake the test. And quite right too! I think there should be some restriction on the car during this time too- nothing over 1800cc and NO MODIFICATIONS!!!

Madhatter
21-02-2007, 05:01 PM
6 points is two speeding offences. Do you realise how easy it is to get them? Surely you mean more than 6.

Will
21-02-2007, 05:04 PM
The whole point is a disproportionate amount of young drivers are in or causing acidents. I think 6 points is generous, considering the idea is to stop people from doing it.

chillitt
21-02-2007, 06:10 PM
6 points is two speeding offences. Do you realise how easy it is to get them? Surely you mean more than 6.

nope! I know one young man who has just discovered this the hard way! 6points is all I have managed to tot up with 24 years driving... :rolleyes: