PDA

View Full Version : Shameful

ronlyre
14-02-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm sad (although not surprised)to see that the UK has come bottom of 21 Advanced Nations on the Wellbeing of Children. It seems that our kids suffer greater deprivation, have worse relationships with their parents, are exsposed to more risks from alcohol, drugs and unsafe sex than any other wealthy nation in the world. (Unicef) All in all a devastating judgement that I hope we can take on board and do something about.
I have a feeling that some of us baby-boomers should shoulder some of the blame, insomuch that the sudden freedoms that we experienced in the 60's were like a wildfire that ran uncontrolled through our soon-to-be families. Our values changed over night and led us into a time of dangerous social experimentation.
In other words, we were too easy with our kids. I don't know, but I'd be interested in what everyone else thinks.

Will
14-02-2007, 06:44 PM
I think it's a combination of things, as it's hard to point the finger at any one specific cause. I think the main areas are Lack of respect in our society and loss of family values.

I don't agree with the Government's view that it's because of poverty; poverty doesn't prevent a child from being brought up to be an honest and respectful person. Parents, school teachers, and even the law, are fearful of enforcing discipline and respect for fear of loosing their jobs, or even worse being convicted of a crime, or are simply powerless to punish misconduct. Others just don't care, and let their children run amok, until they have their own dozen children and likewise don't care.

I wouldn't even like to guess as to what the solution might be though.

Madhatter
14-02-2007, 07:17 PM
If it's poverty then it's how the parents handle that poverty and what society says is acceptable.
Use of alchohol, drugs and weed to cope with everyday life, stealing as and when they can to pay for such addictive vices. If the parents have no respect then how can the children.
I think poverty is wrong word they're looking for, it's attitude they should be changing.
People are very very selfish these days.

ronlyre
14-02-2007, 08:46 PM
'I think poverty is wrong word they're looking for, it's attitude they should be changing.
People are very very selfish these days'.

I would agree with what you say but who are they? Us, Parents, Government. I think we all have a part in this.

When I think of the amount of crap the kids are bombarded with these days, I wonder if we the adults ought to be saying enough is enough. Maybe we should be asking, the press and the media in general to tone it down a bit. To become a little more responsible. Trouble is that's censorship or then again, maybe censorship should begin in the home.

Will
16-02-2007, 02:43 PM
I certainly think a good start would to encourage parents to stop using machines as a replacement. My neighbourhood used to be full of kids biking around, exploring, having fun, building hideouts, etc. Now they are all sat in front of the X-Box or the idiot box.

This may sounds harsh and generalised, but I think a lot of it's down to lazy parenting, and the fact that parents work so much they don't actually have time!

Madhatter
17-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Well yes I can agree with that, my uncle has done far better than me. He's just sold his pub has his own house a car, and has a dating agency in Atherstone, Heart Strings. He's got far more determination than me, I tend to just go with the flow. We got in to trouble, like all kids will but we knew we were doing wrong and when we got caught we regretted it and didn't do it again. It is important to remember that even the best behaved kids will do 'naughty' things. People learn from making mistakes, you can't learn from only being told things.