PDA

View Full Version : Being prepared

ronlyre
09-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Im just wondering what the team thinks we (the UK) should do to get us better prepared for these sudden bursts of 'unexpected' bad weather. Why do we always grind to a halt?
Does anyone have experience of other countries preparations?

optrex
09-02-2007, 01:48 PM
good question ron. In terms of snow we tend to use rocksalt, but scandinavian countries use salt solution.

In terms of clearing what has already fallen the latter works best.

Madhatter
09-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Hows about just getting on with it and staying off the roads unless needed. We never used to have all this crap with roads, railways, schools closing for a snowflake to fall. People make to much of a drama out of something that isn't even a crisis. It's a few snow flakes.

ronlyre
09-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Ahhh, the golden age theory. When everything was right with the world. Policemen stopped major crime with a clip around the ear, we played marbles in the middle of the road and left our doors unlocked. Those were the days, warm summers and warm beer. Sorry mate, I've been around a long time but don't recognise the UK you describe. What about the great freeze of 1948 & '64 when the country (No railways, no school etc) ground to a major halt. Then of course there was polio, rickets, rationing..............

chillitt
09-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Shropshire County Council gritted all round Shrewsbury, ready for the snow. The day after that, Shrewsbury District Council sent the road sweepers out and they picked it all up again!!!!

Madhatter
09-02-2007, 06:17 PM
lol why does that not suprise me chillit.
Ronlyre that was severe weather, this is just worse than usual snow. If we'd had the full six inches of snow that we might have had, or still might then yes I expect SOME disruption, but wheather you think it's the golden age seen through rose tinted specs or not,:rolleyes: the fact is that we DID still have to carry on as best we could, we had to go to school and the snow lay for days, a week or more quite often and we got two or three lots each winter not just one. Hardly any of us had cars, we still got to work, the busses and trains still ran. we still got out and did a weeks shopping. We played out in it, slid on it, built snow men and threw snow balls. Here in Atrherstone we even played our famous ball game in snow covered streets one year, and guess what, everyone survived.

Shizara
09-02-2007, 06:19 PM
...oOo... Numpties ...oOo

You would have thought they would check the weather and warning predictions first....

optrex
09-02-2007, 08:38 PM
...oOo... Numpties ...oOo

There's a phrase I've not heard for a while.

Madhatter
09-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Made me smile, but then shizara often does :)