PDA

View Full Version : Snow school closures

optrex
07-02-2007, 06:42 PM
A list of Warwickshire schools closed can be found here

Schools In Warwickshire - Warwickshire Web (http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/corporate/SPS.nsf/schoolsclosed?OpenView&expandview&Count=150)

10 have already shut

Leofric
07-02-2007, 07:42 PM
A list of Warwickshire schools closed can be found here

Schools In Warwickshire - Warwickshire Web (http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/corporate/SPS.nsf/schoolsclosed?OpenView&expandview&Count=150)

10 have already shut

You're kidding?

Schools closed BEFORE any snow?

Madness!

optrex
07-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Dudley has a blanket closure on ALL of its schools.

Sensible if you ask me, and allows for warking parents to make arrangements rather than have to mad dash last minute changes in the morning. The UK can't cope with 1cm of snow, let alone 15 !!

Leofric
07-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Dudley has a blanket closure on ALL of its schools.

Sensible if you ask me, and allows for warking parents to make arrangements rather than have to mad dash last minute changes in the morning. The UK can't cope with 1cm of snow, let alone 15 !!

It's pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. When I was kid we lived up in Lancashire in a small village in the countryside. We had a lot more snow then than we do now, yet I never missed a day of school because of it. In fact, I was sometimes in school and people who lived two streets away didn't come in!

Madhatter
07-02-2007, 09:57 PM
I agree loefric,it is pathetic and winds me up how this country manages to NOT cope with less and less snow and ice. Frost seems to cause major problems nowdays.
I've just got off the phone from the ex and she says the schools are going to be closed in Lutterworth. This is after I went round my mates and she said Atherstone schools are going to be closed and I thought what are you going on about it's a few flakes of snow.
When we were at school this was a normal amount of snow and we'd only get sent home if the heating couldn't cope. It lay on the ground for days, sometimes weeks, not hours like now.
When our parents were at school they had to dig there way out and I've been told stories by lancs people that they had icicles and frost INSIDE the windows.
Where abouts were you up in lancs leofric and have you got a lancs accent?

chillitt
07-02-2007, 10:03 PM
when i was little we had frost on the inside of the windows.. no central heating, just lots of blankets. very good for the enviroment, not so good on the ears..

Leofric
08-02-2007, 09:57 PM
I agree loefric,it is pathetic and winds me up how this country manages to NOT cope with less and less snow and ice. Frost seems to cause major problems nowdays.
I've just got off the phone from the ex and she says the schools are going to be closed in Lutterworth. This is after I went round my mates and she said Atherstone schools are going to be closed and I thought what are you going on about it's a few flakes of snow.
When we were at school this was a normal amount of snow and we'd only get sent home if the heating couldn't cope. It lay on the ground for days, sometimes weeks, not hours like now.
When our parents were at school they had to dig there way out and I've been told stories by lancs people that they had icicles and frost INSIDE the windows.
Where abouts were you up in lancs leofric and have you got a lancs accent?

We once had snow so deep you could dig it out and make "dens" inside it! And we once had snow and frost that froze all the waterpipes in the village and we ended up without water for a month...!

I was just outside Burnley, a place called Nelson. No, I don't have a strong Lancs accent as my parents moved up there when I was 5 (From London). When I'm up North people say I'm a cockney, and when I'm down south people say I'm Northern!