PDA

View Full Version : All things aggravating---and honesty

cathidaw
05-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Some things that aggravate ME:

NEWS READERS WHO SAY ROOVES INSTEAD OF ROOFS

THE EXPRESSION 'FOR FREE' surely that is bad grammer

the word 'wha'ever'-(used to end a conversation)

Shop assistants who look through me or out of the window when I am being served.

Others including 'like' used in wrong context;

by and large ;

at the end of the day;

Letters to newspapers which say "it's nice to know there are still some honest--nice---good --kind--- people in the world today when something lost is found and returned to them.

On the whole people are honest ---or perhaps it's only in Bedworth.
I had a business for many years and trusted everyone. The kids especially
.If they hadn't enough money with them--I'd say owe it to me, and they always paid up later.

Oh I WAS GREAT IN BUSINESS!!! Sometimes giving wrong change , to my disadvantage, and always it was pointed out to me--

Too busy conversing with my customer I think, (not gossiping you understand)
Once I gave someone--never found out who,--- change for £20 instead of £5
It was put through the letter box that night---
Of course it could be said that there must have been others who werent as honest which I never knew about, but I won't believe it

However I digress.

Would like to hear of other things that are aggravating::peacefingers: :peacefingers: :peacefingers: :) .

Madhatter
05-02-2007, 02:49 AM
I'll sleep on this one like because at the end of the day I'm tired and I'll probably talk a load of rubbish or whatever. :D

optrex
05-02-2007, 09:34 AM
You mention news readers, "mini tornado" is the one that gets me. The BBC are rather fond of it. Can anyone tell me when does a tornado actually become "mini" ???

chillitt
05-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Most political speech (where any sort of decernable answer can be made out..) seems to consist of 'It is right....' clearly they mean 'it is not right.'

cathidaw
05-02-2007, 01:21 PM
You mention news readers, "mini tornado" is the one that gets me. The BBC are rather fond of it. Can anyone tell me when does a tornado actually become "mini" ???

'Small fraction' is another irritant. I 've always thought of a fraction as being small--but then I'm no good at maths.

Also ---'120% ' Surely it is a percentage of 100.
Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding-- maths being my weak point.

Madhatter
05-02-2007, 01:41 PM
I had the percentage discussion on the old forum and it turned in to a blaze thread.
I think it said 100% pure, how can it be any other pure is pure. Bit like half empty, you can't have half of empty.

Other things that annoy are isums and ises from america, americanised words,
burglarised!
It doesn't help because wikipedia and dictionary .com lists the english version under the american.

Will
05-02-2007, 08:37 PM
at the end of the day;

I can't stand it when people say that either, it's usually before they say something they want to sound really insightful, and it rarely is. :)

optrex
05-02-2007, 10:17 PM
at the end of the day, I can't see a problem with it myself ;)