PDA

View Full Version : Hole in the Wall

Will
30-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm going to be writing a series of posts moaning about the state of many of Stratford bars, I've already done Oscar's, now for Hole in the wall.

To be honest, this is one of the better bars in Stratford, it's funky, clean, and great to sit on the roof in the summer. However, there are a couple of things that really let it down.

Firstly, like most bars in Stratford, it subscribes to the mis-guided idea that the louder you play the music (regardless of the actual size of the bar) the better it is. I'm not opposed to loud music under the right circumstances (ie. Clubs, festivals, parties, etc.), but why oh why do these small bars think it's a good idea to play music disproportionately loud to their small bars? Another thing! Why do they have to play the lamest popular dance music or R n'B going? I've been to some bars in Leamington Spa, and it is so refreshing to hear the DJ playing everything from a bit of Rolling Stones to Bob Marley, to contemporary rock, etc. I like Dance music, I DJ myself on a strictly bedroom basis, but I'm bored to death of the same recycled rubbish that comes from an industry that enjoys flogging dead horses.

Possibly the worst thing this bar has going for it, is the terrible layout. I don't know if there is a great deal that can be done about this, but getting to the bar is a long and arduous task, which has you squashed between the bar and the opposing wall, and everyone else trying to get past in between. You then have to wait patiently at the bar while the staff randomly serve people, taking no consideration over who might be next. You get no apologetic manner or even a cursory thanks for making it through the ordeal of buying a drink. I've worked behind a bar, and I'm more then aware of the difference a quick smile and a 'thank you' can make. It's not hard and it seems to be a philosophy lost in most bars in Stratford.

To add a few extra pluses, the bouncers are usually polite and welcoming, another rare thing these days. They offer some great deals on drinks on various days, and have some good nights there. Plus they offer Pizza until quite late during the evening.