PDA

View Full Version : RSC unveils 'transformation' plan

Will
14-06-2006, 01:37 PM
RSC unveils 'transformation' plan
The Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) reveals plans to redesign its main theatre at Stratford-upon-Avon.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/entertainment/5078858.stm
Array
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:03:13 GMT
Entertainment

Will
14-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Hmm,

It's really hard to tell from those naff pictures, but that tower looks hidious.

Will
14-06-2006, 04:20 PM
I just saw on central news that the horrible brickwork is going to be replaced with even more horrible glasswork. Sounds like it's going to be a proper eyesore, can't say I'm shocked though, everything that is built or revamped in Stratford tends to be ugly.

Sandman
15-06-2006, 11:03 AM
I take it that tower will be the new highest stucture in Stratford? THe theatre actually used to have a tower, and from the pictures I've seen it was quite nice. But that is because it was well designed and fitted in with it's environment.

I have no faith that this new design will fit in with it's surroundings at all.

cathidaw
05-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Ican't think that anyone could ever seriously believe that the planners for the new Theatre are local. They probably havent seen the place except on paper. Out of towners -thats what they are. Here to dabble for a few years , and then move on to mess up somewhere else.
(No-one would guess that I've had few spats with these 'planners' over the years would they?) I quietly simmer nowadays-----mostly.
'
how about this;
A friend of mine -a gps land surveyer---was asked to survey the site of a proposed new out of town shopping mall-hundreds of acres. He travelled 200 or so miles to the site and found it was mainly lakeland. , no-one had actually been to see this site.
There are so many armchair planners around these days. That is possibly the reason why so many towns look the same-- they duplicate a rubberstamp of an area they once did.! Well it's a good theory.
I think the ones who 'design ' Coventry live in Peru or -looking at it Russia.

Shizara
06-12-2007, 08:52 PM
I wonder if part of the thinking is that by recycling the same plans money is saved for use in other bizarre projects and with a bit of luck the general public won't have the wit or the interest to care. Except, many do care and try to voice their concerns which seemingly fall on deaf ears.