PDA

View Full Version : What's your camera set-up?

Will
25-01-2007, 04:00 PM
I haven't done photography since college, and it shows. But I've got a good camera and some good books to get me back into it again. I thought I'd see what everyone else has got too.

Nikon f2 camera.
Nikon Standard 35mm Lense.
Tripod
Photoshop
Basic panasonic digital camera.I'd really like to buy a lense with a much longer focal length. But I'd also really like to buy a powerful macro lense, but these don't seem to be cheap. I do enjoy close up photography though.

So, I have the basics, and I intend to start using them again soon. How about the rest of you?

optrex
25-01-2007, 04:35 PM
For basic stuff I am using a Canon 350D with 75-300 and 28-80 zooms.

Madhatter
25-01-2007, 06:06 PM
I haven't got a Digital Camera as such so use my sony k750i phone camera. I've took some good shots on it although due to the low pixel count they're not as clear as a 10megapixel digital or my SLR's. If I use my SLR, I scan them in to the pc using a flatbed scanner.

I have no hesitation in using the above to enter, it's not what you've got, it's what you do with it.

I have an awfull lot of manual focus SLR and some auto focus SLR camera's, mostly canon. You can pick this stuff up relatively cheap nowdays but not from camera shops, it's all camera fayres and ebay. A close up lens is far more usefull than a 300mm
There's a camera Fayre at wolverhampton Race coure this Sunday I believe.

Shizara
28-01-2007, 09:35 AM
........it's not what you've got, it's what you do with it.

People have different camera specs and brands for different reasons, yet, all are capable of taking a picture. I think one of the biggest differences being that with the higher specced cameras you can cope with a greater range of situations. When your camera is not steadied by a tripod or rested against/on another object then your challenge is not just to get a balanced picture in the viewfinder but to hold it steady, especially when taking pictures with longer exposures.

I have used disposable cameras in the past and managed to take clear, balanced pictures with focal points of interest. For a while I used a camera with film and because I tend to be a pointNclickaholic, as you can imagine, the cost of processing was rather high. I now have a nice little Canon IXUS which has done much mileage - especially at Disney - however, for a 'quick pic' I often use my Nokia mobile camera - thank goodness for bigger memory cards.

For those with lower specced cameras your pictures are every bit as important as those from higher specced cameras.

Shizara
03-06-2008, 07:18 PM
My digital camera has 2 modes. Off or PointNclick.

cathidaw
04-06-2008, 10:28 PM
whils Ihave a Canon 400D, I also use a 5 megapixel Olympus compact-and the pictures are so good. I think with all the hype about SLRs, these others are underestimated. OK you can do more with an SLR but it all depends on what you want it for.I belong to 3 clubs and only a few have SLRs in 2 of them. How about this for a tale(true)
A year ago Iwas asked to 'do' a wedding, a posh Society do in an Oxfordshire village . An hour before the wedding Ichecked my camera-the canon and decided to put in a larger '2Gig' card, . as Iwas putting it in someone knocked my elbow, and the card jammed. Did I panic? DID I PANIC? I jolly well did! However I decided to use my little compact--no other choice anyway!
Obviously I could not do exactly as planned-- this was 5 years old digital point and shoot remember -and I took 180 photo's.
Results? well thank goodness for Photoshop. I did a beautiful album--or rather an album of beautiful photos for the bride as a a wedding present.
Many of the photos needed no enhancement.
I paid about 350 pounds for the compact 5 years ago and the same one is now around £125 with more features.
It is also good for taking photos to e.mail , or for e.bay as the files are smaller.
Jessops is pretty good too and Curry's. You can always bargain with Jessops!.

cathidaw
04-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Continuing from before.
Yes Nikon lenses cost two legs but Tamron have had a good write up in the photo mags and someone in one of my clubs has one .He says its excellent and cost a fraction of Nikon. I am going to get the Tamron for my Canon
PC World have an offer on at the moment.
I'll let you know----------

cathidaw
10-11-2008, 10:22 PM
my Sister has bought an 8 mega pixel camera for £130.00, with a large screen. and daughter has bought a Sony. The pictures look as good as my Canon 400D. If I was buying a compact now I would go for one with it's own rechargeable battery (AA batteries get used up quickly - even rechargeable)and with as big an optical zoom as I could get. forget the digital zoom.
Software to install you get with it.
Also if you take your card into Tesco and have pics put onto a cd -it comes with a free program to install on the computer for enhancing, ie. lightening darkening .selecting, cropping and a few more things , and all for 79p

Lex
05-03-2013, 09:26 PM
I've always been sceptical about buying a digital camera, as buying a decent one involved spending several hundred pounds, and sod's law being what it is, a better one costing £50 less will be released onto the market 2 weeks later. My old film SLR still works brilliently; I've owned it for at least 5 years, and it was 2nd hand when I bought it; I only bought that one as my previous 2nd hand film SLR camera finally gave up the ghost after 15 years faithful service (and both cost less than £100!)

cathidaw
05-03-2013, 11:48 PM
The best way to learn aboutyour camera is to use it. Sounds silly doesn't it?But I belong to 2 clubs and another I started 4 years ago.It's surprising how many people come with a camera to ask how to use it. They have basic instruction books- usually in pigeon Japanese, so once you've switched on-off you go. tHERE'S NO WASTE, THE DELETE BUTTON IS THERE , BUT PUT THEM ON THE SCREEN AND TRY TO SEE WHERE YOU WENT WRONG.Then delete the ones you dont want. oR JOIN A CLUB, WHERE YOU WILL ALWAYS GET HELP AND SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO IMPROVE. a POSH CAMERA IS NOT ESSENTIALL. MOST OF THE COMPACTS ARE SUPERB. If the club says you cant get anywhere with a small didgy--leave and join another.I've been doing photography for well over 50 years. I should be perfect but I'm not, (in my dreams)I but it's one of my main hobbies, and I love it. I used to judge at one time but that was before digital. I still use film sometimes-black and white-- but have it put on a cd and print from my computer.
i'VE JUST TAKEN SOME OF MY GRANDAUGHTER -BY CANDLE LIGHT AND I AM SO PLEASED WITH THEM.