PDA

View Full Version : I want to move to Warwickshire

sal1
21-01-2007, 05:52 PM
:help:
I would really like to relocate to Warwickshire from Kent and would welcome any advice/suggestions of the best way of going about this, eg finding somewhere to live, jobs, schools etc. Its very difficult trying to sort out housing/employment when living such a distance. So please help somebody,
with regards
sal 1

Will
21-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Welcome Sal,

Are you after any kind of particular employment? How far are you willing commute? Would you prefer a countryside or town loaction?

Give us an idea of what you're hoping for, and we'll see what we can come up with. :)

sal1
22-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I would prefer the countryside, but town would also suit. I am versatile in the type of work I am qualified to do. Ideally looking for Customer service roles, Admin/office and scientific research such as lab assistant. Would also suit working within a university, librarian for example. I have a child so I don't really want a job which involves working evenings or weekends.
I really would welcome any advice on how I go about relocating. I look forward to hearing from you.
All the best
SAL ;) :rolleyes:

Madhatter
22-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Any specific reason you'd like to move here sal?

sal1
23-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi
My roots are in West Midlands area, sprecifically Warwickshire. Everytime I visit I fall more in love with the place. Get very homesick when I return to Kent and dream of the day I move back for good. My son has fallen in love with Warwickshire too.

sal1
23-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi
Many thanks for message. I will certainly investigate this company.
Sal

JWR
23-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Sal there is a scientific research lab in warwickshire - i think there more into food research but theyre a big company - there based in chipping campden - im sure if you google it youll find some details . Chipping campden is North cotswolds - a very expensive place to live however lots of areas within 10 ish miles are more reasonable - they have an excellent school there too and many other local schools are of a good standard- i went to campden school and its at the top of its class in the uk .
I live in stratford and love warwickshire - it very central to loads of excellent places , youve a good mix of cities and countryside all around you .

Leofric
24-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I would prefer the countryside, but town would also suit. I am versatile in the type of work I am qualified to do. Ideally looking for Customer service roles, Admin/office and scientific research such as lab assistant. Would also suit working within a university, librarian for example. I have a child so I don't really want a job which involves working evenings or weekends.
I really would welcome any advice on how I go about relocating. I look forward to hearing from you.
All the best
SAL ;) :rolleyes:

Your best bet for jobs is prob in Coventry - 2 Unis, lots of libraries and some large companies like Barclays, Peugot, Jaguar, etc. That gives you plenty of scope for living in the countryside, as most of Cov's employment areas seem to be on the outskirts. Although I have noticed a lot of offfices around Rugby.

Madhatter
24-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Which part of Warwickshire are you thinking of moving to, or would prefer to move to sal? What are your priority requirements other than work?

sal1
26-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi Lex
thanks so much for your message and possible job areas. I appreciate it.
Sal

sal1
26-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi
Many thanks for all the info, I will appreciate any info on employment opportunities, good schools etc. thanks again
Sal

sal1
26-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks Leofric for all the job tips, welcome all the info I can get.
Sal

sal1
26-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Hi madhatter,
I would prefer to move to the Coventry area, stratford-Upon-Avon or Nuneaton, as I know these areas, but I would also consider other areas, especially with recommendation. I need to find somewhere to live (obviously) for my son and myself and a good school for my son. Any feedback would be much appreciated and thanks for message.
Sal

Madhatter
26-01-2007, 08:11 PM
I only really know Nuneaton And atherstone well. Avoid Camp hill and Blackatree estate like the plague. Rough rough rough, you don't want your son in that.
Leofric thinks Atherstone is pikey, but we only have 2 closes and one small street like that here, Mancetter tends to be rougher.
Coventry is a city, kids don't in my opinion belong in cities. I like it here in Atherstone because the fields are never far away.
I assume you'll be looking for somewhere to rent?

Leofric
26-01-2007, 10:50 PM
I only really know Nuneaton And atherstone well. Avoid Camp hill and Blackatree estate like the plague. Rough rough rough, you don't want your son in that.
Leofric thinks Atherstone is pikey, but we only have 2 closes and one small street like that here, Mancetter tends to be rougher.
Coventry is a city, kids don't in my opinion belong in cities. I like it here in Atherstone because the fields are never far away.
I assume you'll be looking for somewhere to rent?

I've never been to Atherstone, but a colleague from Nuneaton says it's a bit pikey.

Why don't kids belong in cities? I was brought up in a small town and hated it - I would have loved to have been brought up in a city.

sal1
27-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi madhatter,
It sounds like you know whats good for kids and I thanl you for considering this in your area suggestions. I love the countryside myself, but my son prefers city life. I definately don't want to live in rough areas and as far as Athestone is concerned I don't mind Pikeys providing they don't thieve or kidnap children. I am looking to rent. Cheers Madhatter.

sal1
27-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Would welcome suggestions on reputable letting agencies.
Sal

Leofric
28-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi madhatter,
It sounds like you know whats good for kids and I thanl you for considering this in your area suggestions. I love the countryside myself, but my son prefers city life. I definately don't want to live in rough areas and as far as Athestone is concerned I don't mind Pikeys providing they don't thieve or kidnap children. I am looking to rent. Cheers Madhatter.

If your son prefers city life, then an idea solution is somewhere in the countryside that has a railway station and links to either Brum or Cov.

Madhatter
29-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Because cities have a lot higher crime rate, drug, alcohol, solvent abuse rate, proabably due to a number of factors. Higher population density, Higher poverty, increased ease of obtaining the above, all of which are part of a nasty never ending circle associated with nasty parts of all cities and large towns. The problem is that it's all to easy for nice decent kids to get involved in it. My family live/lived up liverpool, one escaped to the isle of wight, sick of being scared to go out. He lived in a nice house on a nice road opposite a park, but the shows were part of the estate at the back. He had some nasty experiences going to those shops. I cn't say much more but each of them have thier own story to tell. Infact I think they'd make a good tv drama series like boys from the black stuff.
Thats not to say that happens to every family in a city or that coventry is any worse than any other. Infact I think coventry is one of the better cities.

One place that never gets mentioned and I don't really know peoples thoughts on is Coleshill. Thats Warwickshire but nearly attatched to Birminghams outer suberbs.

Leofric
29-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Because cities have a lot higher crime rate, drug, alcohol, solvent abuse rate, proabably due to a number of factors. Higher population density, Higher poverty, increased ease of obtaining the above, all of which are part of a nasty never ending circle associated with nasty parts of all cities and large towns. The problem is that it's all to easy for nice decent kids to get involved in it. My family live/lived up liverpool, one escaped to the isle of wight, sick of being scared to go out. He lived in a nice house on a nice road opposite a park, but the shows were part of the estate at the back. He had some nasty experiences going to those shops. I cn't say much more but each of them have thier own story to tell. Infact I think they'd make a good tv drama series like boys from the black stuff.
Thats not to say that happens to every family in a city or that coventry is any worse than any other. Infact I think coventry is one of the better cities.

One place that never gets mentioned and I don't really know peoples thoughts on is Coleshill. Thats Warwickshire but nearly attatched to Birminghams outer suberbs.

That's a generalisation. Problems in cities tend to be isolated to certain areas. I've lived in Coventry and Sheffield and have seen more problems with poverty and violence in small towns in Lancashire. I've always lived in decent parts of cities, and seen no problems like those you mention.

Drugs, violence and poverty are most certainly not isolated to cities. I remember reports a few years ago about Stratford having a drug problem, and Nuneaton/Bedworth contains some of the most deprived areas in the Midlands.

Madhatter
30-01-2007, 03:17 AM
Kids don't stay in one nice area though, they explore and mix at school with kids from rough areas. .
Lancashire I know quite well, as you may know, Lancs towns can be quite bad, Burnley has a bad reputation. So yes some towns can be as bad as cities but I don't think any towns round here are as bad as Coventry bad bits, which are nowhere near as bad as Birminghams
Yes you're right Drugs, violence and poverty are most certainly not isolated to cities, Atherstone, Coleshill, Nuneaton, Bedworth all have problems, but because it's not a city and there's less people here there's less of a problem.

I don't think it's generalisation (grrr @ american isations) I think it's fact but you notice it less at your kids have more of a chance if you live in a nice area.

Shizara what do you think of Nuneaton?.

sal1
30-01-2007, 04:35 PM
:eek: I have read with interest the issues with drugs etc in cities. Perhaps its because I have only been back to Warwickshire on visits, but I always feel a lot safer there out and about than when I am back in rotten old Thanet. As you are aware i want to move to Warwickshire and welcome feedback on good and bad areas. There are always going to be bad areas wherever you go. Obviously kids get to mix with a diverse range of other kids at school, so it is important to seek out the good schools from the bad. I would be interested to hear about your own experiences of living in Warwickshire, what you like/dislike etc. :beerchug:

Leofric
30-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Kids don't stay in one nice area though, they explore and mix at school with kids from rough areas. .
Lancashire I know quite well, as you may know, Lancs towns can be quite bad, Burnley has a bad reputation. So yes some towns can be as bad as cities but I don't think any towns round here are as bad as Coventry bad bits, which are nowhere near as bad as Birminghams
Yes you're right Drugs, violence and poverty are most certainly not isolated to cities, Atherstone, Coleshill, Nuneaton, Bedworth all have problems, but because it's not a city and there's less people here there's less of a problem.

I don't think it's generalisation (grrr @ american isations) I think it's fact but you notice it less at your kids have more of a chance if you live in a nice area.

Shizara what do you think of Nuneaton?.

Burnley. Ugh. What a depressing place.

According to a report in the Coventry Telegraph last night, a fair number of people are moving into Coventry from Warwickshire due to the high house prices. There are still some relatively affordable areas in Coventry.

Madhatter
31-01-2007, 01:20 AM
Good point leofric, rents too though.
Our conversations make it sound so bad but it is safer here. Warwickshire is one of the batter safer areas and cov has got to be one of the safer out of all the large cities. I've been to just about all of them now.
Atherstone is a quiet and peacefull place. Most of the crime is the drunkard idiots on a friday night outside the night club. It's not really fair for me to judge places because it's usually the odd bad things that stick in mind about a place you don't know the good points of.