PDA

View Full Version : mysql

Madhatter
13-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Going to ask here as This is the site where i get the most sense and least abuse.
How do they work.?
if I have a forum and a chat room say, do they share the same data base for log in names.
If I have several forums and I want one person to join all forums at the same time can i do that and if so is it by just using one my sql data base.
I've been recomended web-mania or 1and1 hosting but web mania is only one mysql, so basically what restrictions does that put on 6 forums?

optrex
13-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Its not straight forward to answer Mad, but I will try.

First things first, 1and1 - I would recommend them, Will on the other hand would not. ;) If you do decide to go with them, I have an affiliate link which earns me a bit of commission for recommending them. That said, I wouldn't recommend them if they were rubbish.

2nd, many hosts will not allow chat channels via mysql as the load is too great. They will either say no straight off (as 1and1 do) or they will let you run it, before pulling the plug without warning when it puts too great a load on their myqsql server.

3rd, forum licenses. To run 6 forums with different VISIBLE content requires 6 licesnses (even if they are on the same db, but with masked forums for each URL). You may also get cookie issues with the login as each URL will require a different cookie.

4th, in the scenario you quote, they would use the same database for the login, but the chat would have its own tables within the db.

5th not sure about the legality or etheics of joining a person to 6 seperate forums in 1 go - they may not want to and may see it as a breach of their privacy.

In my experience, it wouldn't work in terms of its cost or practicality and once one forum gets popular, you are going to be into bandwidth issues.

....other than that, its a good idea - lol

Will
13-01-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm sure someone has asked this on VBulletin.com before, go their community forums and ask on the pre-sales forum. If they can't answer they will probably point you to Vbulletin.org, which has many hacks, one of which may be what you're looking for.

Op is right, I wouldn't recommend 1and1 to my worst enemy. Do a search on vbulletin.com, and you'll find most other people wouldn't either.

optrex
13-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Thats assuming he wants a vb forum, but yes they are good places to research.

Madhatter
13-01-2007, 06:47 PM
No I only want one v bulletin forum, the rest will be open source.
The wap chat site I used to go on wapoc is on 1and1 and I don't think they have any problems it's forum and chat.

Is the chat on this site using mysql?

I don't see as web mania are suitable with only one mysql then

back to small orange, what's thier rules on chat ?

Will
13-01-2007, 07:35 PM
If you want all your forums to link up, I'm almost 100% sure they'll need to be on the same database, so you'd need the same forum software.

1and1 are fine if:
- You don't mind limitations of your forum size.
- You don't mind limitations on how many emails you can send.
- You don't mind limitations on how many databases you can have, and how you are allowed to use them.
- You don't mind limitations on how many database users you want.
-etc.

Basically, if you don't mind limitations on absolutely everything, 1and1 are great.

As far as I know ASO have no rules on chat, they have no limits on anything apart from the bandwidth and server space. There's probably better out there, but after using 5 different hosts, I haven't found one.

optrex
13-01-2007, 09:57 PM
They will need to be the same software to link up as the tables will have a different structure for each forum software.

Lets however clear a few myths on 1and1 - although it should be said now, Will and I will disagree on this all night. :)

for forum size: you are given a 100mb database, enough for anyones books, except if you use it to store pictures - which actally is not recommended by anyone.

160 members, 3,500 threads, 18,700 posts, heavily modded and with chat listings = still below 20mb

email: they have anti spam measures that prevent you sending an email to more than 100 recipients. You just send it twice with 99 recipients each time. No hassle, easy to do in Vb and good practice anyway (we have the same on our email servers at work as it helps admins detect mass mailing worms).

The number of databases is limited by the type of package. Thier 3 main packages are 2, 8 or 15 databases.

They impose the following restrictions, which do work well on a shared host environment. Please note that the MySQL database may not under any circumstances be used for log evaluation operations (e.g., ivw), ad clicks, chat systems, banner rotations, or similar applications putting extreme loads on the database.

ASO are good, but they are non UK, when the transatlantic lines bottleneck thay can be a little slow. I have considered them very seroiusly on more than one occasion, especially when I was toying with the idea of VS, but now 1and1 offer that too.

Madhatter
13-01-2007, 11:06 PM
lol you two make me smile.
Funny how i've ended up shortlisting the two though, I can't be going that wrong.
I know I asked some of this months back but I'm still dithering, maybe my taurus traits.
The 1and1 site says one mysql database not two though. Or am I mixed up again.

optrex
13-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Comparison chart for shared hosting

1&1 Internet Ltd. - Hosting - Comparison Chart (http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/HostingOverview;jsessionid=1B169D2CB2F16A4897DCE61 276391ADF.TC31b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static)

Madhatter
14-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Been getting this site could not be found for the last 5 minutes which is what puts me off aso.
So if I've got 6 sites I need 6 databases 1 or 2 vbulltin the rest open source. two won't go anywhere tbh so I may as well scrap them.
For 8 databases it's 17.61 a month on 1and1
A small package on aso is $5 a month

optrex
14-01-2007, 10:16 AM
with 6 sites bandwidth will be your issue if they are decent enough. the 8 db package comes with 100gb bandwidth for a reason......

Madhatter
15-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Na, they're very quite really. Im thinking of scrapping the tamworth one. how much would this site take?
whats aso biggest package $30 work out as in pounds? would it be about 20?

optrex
15-01-2007, 07:13 PM
google the following

30 usd to gbp

Madhatter
16-01-2007, 02:50 PM
clever stuff, thanks.
Aso still looks the best to me but I get the connection was refused to warwickshire online stil at least once a day for a few minutes at a time. same on other vbulletin forums that are on aso.

optrex
16-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Like I said before they will also slow up with the x atlantic stream gets tied up. Interesting that you have noticed this across other forums, so its not a case of anyone making this up.

Madhatter
16-01-2007, 11:00 PM
It's annoying cos nobody else seems to get it, all other sites on my pc will refresh apart from sites like this and blackpool web, both on aso, sometimes both at the same time but not always. I click refresh and firefox throws that error box at me, could not conmnect to www.warwickshireonline.com or whatever it says.
I've asked on aso forums and got blanked. They've got other customers that have only been on aso a few days answering like they've been on it for years and know everything.
Asked about the % of up time and I think it's low, I expect 99%+ and they say I'm being unrealistic. The way I worked it out from their charts, theres more than 24 in a month down time. Thats not acceptable to me.
If thats a new visitor looking at the site, they'd give up and go elsewhere.
If I'm wrong please tell me .

optrex
16-01-2007, 11:07 PM
From my experience I get very slow loads at certain times of day. I also get timeouts.

Best thing to do is track a sites uptime with a webtracker and see for yourself. If you know their host, so much the better. Then at least you have hard facts and figures.

MWF gets a small glitch very occasionally if they have to reset a cluster for the mysql. Usually about 2am and may affect 1 user, by the time they hit refresh its back up.

The golden rule though with shared hosting - the host is only as reliable as the server you are put on. That is why so many people have differing views.

Madhatter
22-01-2007, 02:21 PM
What do you think to this one ? it has unlimitited my sql but charges a nominal amount for each. Not sure what they mean that I'd only need one though. :confused:

Madhatter
22-01-2007, 10:04 PM
https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/ helps if i give the url doesn't it lol :rolleyes:

optrex
22-01-2007, 10:42 PM
I did wonder.....

so I'd be paying $6.20 per month for storage and $30 bandwidth - no thanks!

Madhatter
22-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Is it an expensive way then?
:(

optrex
23-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Depends on your uasage doesn't it really. But I did notice you picked a US host again

Madhatter
26-01-2007, 09:14 PM
two questions to clarify. Do i need five database for five sites that each have their own log in, because that nearly free speach has confused me...
How many MySQL databases can I have?

"A MySQL process can contain as many databases as you wish. You can also create multiple MySQL processes if you wish, but doing so will cost more than placing all your databases in a single process."

and if i can't use a database for chat how do i do it. although i don't know why im bothering chat won't get used.

Madhatter
26-01-2007, 09:30 PM
two questions to clarify. Do i need five database for five sites that each have their own log in, because that nearly free speach has confused me...

"A MySQL process can contain as many databases as you wish. You can also create multiple MySQL processes if you wish, but doing so will cost more than placing all your databases in a single process."

and if i can't use a database for chat how do i do it. although i don't know why im bothering chat won't get used.

optrex
26-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Do i need five database for five sites that each have their own log in,
yes

as many as you want by the looks of things

remote hosted or mirc, but dont bother it wont get used ;)

Madhatter
26-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Think you miss understood, i won't be going with them, it's that processes bit that confuses me

A MySQL process can contain as many databases as you wish. You can also create multiple MySQL processes if you wish, but doing so will cost more than placing all your databases in a single process."

what is a process? and does that affect aso or 1n1?

optrex
27-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Sounds like you might needc to read through a few bits here MySQL AB :: The world's most popular open source database (http://www.mysql.com/)

dj support
04-04-2007, 11:07 PM
you can have as many things using one database as you like they can be prefixed so there all unique in what they add to the database but for easy management and speed it would be best to have independant Mysqls for each forum etc,

and why not wait for PHPBB 3 im so waiting for this release! it's big its better and its due to be Release Candidate any time soon!!

Madhatter
05-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Hello again mate, I knew you'd post in this thread . Thanks for the tip, I do, I'll stick to the proboards forums till then. gonna use vbulletin for atherstone though.