PDA

View Full Version : Coventry City Farm

Xanadu2
05-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I learned from the Midlands news today that Coventry City Farm may have to close, and feel sad, because I was one of the original staff when it first opened. Kids in tower blocks NEED something like that! Yet people have only a month to raise £70.000! Can it be done?

Will
05-01-2007, 10:44 PM
I didn't actually know Cov had a city farm until I saw it on the news. I think for something like this to close when Coventry is striving to improve would be a huge setback. There's plenty of funding agencies who could step in and help out, let's hope they do.

Maybe even the city council could help out, if not financially, then by finding someone who can.

chillitt
05-01-2007, 11:27 PM
70,000 could take an awful lot of kids out of coventry to see a real farm... having said that i think city farms are a great idea..

Xanadu2
06-01-2007, 09:56 PM
70,000 could take an awful lot of kids out of coventry to see a real farm... having said that i think city farms are a great idea..

Yes, 70,000 could take a lot of kids into really beautiful countryside, but the City Farm was there for them all the time, not just when someone arranges an outing.

They could form much better relationships with the animals, seeing them every day after school.

Xanadu2
08-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi Folks,

I had a chat on the phone with the chairman, who remembers me from way back. Apparently, having to raise 70,000 in a month or close at the end of it is the kind of angle that TV programmes like, because it is more sensational than spreading the word while the target is achievable.

Apparently it costs about 7,500 a month to run the farm, so that gives an idea of what the immediate target really is. I hope that posting on this forum helps to bring in some money.

Will
09-01-2007, 05:41 PM
It doesn't seem they have a web site, how are they planning on collecting donations does anyone know?

Xanadu2
09-01-2007, 11:35 PM
It doesn't seem they have a web site, how are they planning on collecting donations does anyone know?

They do have a website, and they prefer contact by phone. It's late now, so I'll post the details tomorrow.

Shizara
10-01-2007, 06:45 AM
I asked Mr Google and he came up with http://www.coventrycityfarm.org.uk/

Like Will I didn't realize there was a city farm in Coventry.

Xanadu2
11-01-2007, 09:59 PM
I asked Mr Google and he came up with http://www.coventrycityfarm.org.uk/

Like Will I didn't realize there was a city farm in Coventry.

Thanks, Shizara,

I found the site in Google, and the phone numbers are: (024) 7622 5323 or (024) 7667 6015.

Apparently they have no email address at the farm.

Unregistered
23-01-2007, 04:30 PM
thursday the 25th of janurary we are having a live gig fund raising night at the Tam O'shanter in Earlsdon Coventry. From 7.30 to 1200 performances from Kirsty Logan, P.nology and the V.Jays. Comedy from Parkie and Anita Nakra. We will also be having an auction with some great collectable items. Tickets are £5.00 on the door. Please lets help save Coventry City Farm.

Unregistered
23-01-2007, 04:35 PM
tel 024 76225323
www.coventrycityfarm.org.uk
email - coolabahproductions@yahoo.co.uk

Will
23-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Thank you anonymous poster, I'll add that to the calendar. :)

cathidaw
27-01-2007, 02:07 AM
[my grandchildren live in a beautiful part of Oxfordshire with posh farms all around bird sanctuaries, even an alpaca farm. I took then to City Farm. You would have thought they had never seen an animal before....and right in the shadow of the high rise flats. They didn't want to come away.

Ok the money needed to keep it going would indeed take some kids to a real farm in the country, but this is quite a deprived area and people trapped in this area of flats and houses need some joy in their lives, and to pass by this place daily on the way to the shops , to hear the animal sounds ,, and to see them from the highrises , must compensate a little.
We need to keep it going!

Will
29-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Looks like they've managed to keep it going for another three months, doesn't say how they've managed it though.

BBC NEWS | England | Coventry/Warwickshire | Threatened city farm remains open (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/6307549.stm)

Xanadu2
18-02-2007, 08:47 PM
They have???? :) :) :)

Believe me, although I started this thread, I didn't know! After all, I moved away.

The post about needing something like this in your life if you live among those high rise flats is absolutely true!

Shizara
18-02-2007, 10:33 PM
They have???? :) :) :)

Believe me, although I started this thread, I didn't know! After all, I moved away.

The post about needing something like this in your life if you live among those high rise flats is absolutely true!

Welcome back! Looks like you need to call in and visit more often to keep up ;)

Xanadu2
15-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Welcome back! Looks like you need to call in and visit more often to keep up ;)

Hi Shizara,

Who, me, pop in often? Sorry but I find the computer can take me over for the whole day if I don't limit my time online and I never manage to do everything online.

As for my involvement, I left Coventry almost 20 years ago, and I feel that the beautiful Welsh Marches, where I now live, are my true home where I propose to spend the rest of my life. :D Hence I think about Coventry occasionally.

I started this thread because I used to work on the City Farm, so was concerned. I've just had my annual pilgrimage to Warwickshire, because I never miss the Royal Show! :) No, not even when it is as wet and muddy as the Glastonbury Festival! ;)

optrex
15-07-2007, 11:14 PM
They still cancelled the last day due to the mud though! Apparently they didn't want to get sued :(

Anyway, WB Xanadu

cathidaw
15-07-2007, 11:49 PM
where are the Welsh Marches?

Xanadu2
16-07-2007, 10:44 PM
where are the Welsh Marches?

The border between Wales and England (actually Montgomeryshire and Shropshire). I've known the Marches by that name for years, ever since I used to travel from Coventry to walk Offa's Dyke, and fell in love with the area.

Now I live just a couple of miles from Offa's Dyke. I never knew I'd be that lucky!!! :D :D :D

Xanadu2
16-07-2007, 10:46 PM
They still cancelled the last day due to the mud though! Apparently they didn't want to get sued :(

Anyway, WB Xanadu

Thanks!

I thought the wet soggy flooded and eventually totally submerged Royal Show would start a thread in this forum! Apparently not so.

cathidaw
20-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Iwent to the first Royal Show-still have the programme-

Then, the only real hard road was up to the Royal Pavilion.

It rained! and rained!
I was trying to push a baby in a pushchair--we carried it. The other 2 children thought it great fun ,especially as they were covered in mud up to their knees(and weren't being told off.)
I cant remember much about it ,but I know we enjoyed the day even though the weather was bad. It had something very special about it, very Royal, an atmosphere which it seemed to lose as it got more sophisticated in the later years.

Xanadu2
08-08-2007, 09:23 PM
It rained! and rained!
I was trying to push a baby in a pushchair--we carried it. The other 2 children thought it great fun ,especially as they were covered in mud up to their knees(and weren't being told off.)
I cant remember much about it ,but I know we enjoyed the day even though the weather was bad. It had something very special about it, very Royal, an atmosphere which it seemed to lose as it got more sophisticated in the later years.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself regardless. I did. I wrote two reports on it, the 500 word report that I had a press pass to write, and the Unofficial 4500 report that I've sent to various places on the internet and that has people laughing.

I saw something on the news about the showground being for sale, but didn't see the outcome. Anyone know, please?

Unregistered
25-11-2007, 10:02 PM

YES THAY HAVE A WEEB SITE YOU CAN SEND MONEY TO THEM BY POST