PDA

View Full Version : Ipods

Crunchie
31-05-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm not too clued up on Ipods,Mp3s etc but have decided I need one!!!

My requirements are pretty basic though!!!

I want something basic and cheap - only need about 2-300 songs. Needs to be easily used in the gym. I would prefer one that gives me access to FM/AM radio too.

Any suggestions would be most welcome;)

Will
31-05-2006, 04:41 PM
If you only need that amount of songs, you might be better off buying a simple MP3 player. They usually cost a lot less, and I'm pretty sure some of them have radio recievers too. To be honest, I'm not sure what the advantage of an IPOD is, but I'm certain a simple MP3 player will be suitable enough for your needs. :)

Crunchie
01-06-2006, 03:19 PM
I think I've worked out what I need!!:hmmm:

A portable DAB Mp3 player!!

Wish they weren't quite so pricey!!:(

Will
01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Keep shopping around, I'm pretty sure there are some reasonably priced units out there. Check on the net especially.

Leofric
01-06-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm not too clued up on Ipods,Mp3s etc but have decided I need one!!!

My requirements are pretty basic though!!!

I want something basic and cheap - only need about 2-300 songs. Needs to be easily used in the gym. I would prefer one that gives me access to FM/AM radio too.

Any suggestions would be most welcome;)

Don't go with Ipod. Overpriced rubbish. A Creative Zen Micro sounds like what you want - 6 GIG hard drive + Radio.

Leofric
01-06-2006, 10:35 PM
If you only need that amount of songs, you might be better off buying a simple MP3 player. They usually cost a lot less, and I'm pretty sure some of them have radio recievers too. To be honest, I'm not sure what the advantage of an IPOD is, but I'm certain a simple MP3 player will be suitable enough for your needs. :)

IPODs have no advantage, other than style.

torchomatic
19-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I have a 20GIG Sony Walkman - miles better than an iPod, battery life is around 30 hours which is great.

Leofric
08-07-2006, 06:25 PM
I have a 20GIG Sony Walkman - miles better than an iPod, battery life is around 30 hours which is great.

Sony's Software is terrible, though. I got rid of my Net MD some years ago because of that Sonic Stage rubbish you had to use!

torchomatic
10-07-2006, 12:25 PM
I can't argue with you there, Sonic Stage and Connect are nowhere near as good as iTunes, but I think the hardware is miles better. I wouldn't have an iPod again.

Sony's Software is terrible, though. I got rid of my Net MD some years ago because of that Sonic Stage rubbish you had to use!

optrex
27-09-2006, 03:38 PM

I would agree, especially with their faux pas on piracy measures. I do like my ipod nano and although I dont have radio, I can play it through my car radio with a little fm transmitter.

Steve W
11-10-2006, 12:46 PM
I quite fancy trying the Sony Walkman.

I'm also a big fan of Creative. As a budget MP3 player I would highly recommend Creative's Muvo range (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=electronics-uk&field-keywords=creative%20muvo%20mp3&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-2_electronics-uk_8973826_2&results-process=default?tag2=gb-en-google-21)

I would also like to try the Creative Zen range.

optrex
11-10-2006, 02:45 PM
I try and avoid Sony now. Their practises in copyright protection are beyond a joke. Using stealth methods to install trojan software on a machine in the name of copyright is not on!

Steve W
11-10-2006, 02:58 PM
I try and avoid Sony now. Their practises in copyright protection are beyond a joke. Using stealth methods to install trojan software on a machine in the name of copyright is not on!

Agreed. I couldn't believe I was reading it when I saw that news

Steve W
27-05-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm looking at getting an MP3/Ipod (once I get a job & have some money when I get back to the UK).
Are Muvo & Creative still good makes, or are there any other good makes out there?

Ta,
Lex

Creative is an excellent make. For a bog standard "just play my songs in alphabetical order" MP3 player, the Zen Stone is an excellent choice. I really like the look of the Zen V, Zen V Plus and the Zen Vision as well, so will probably go for one of those when I decide to get a bigger one. I also still have a Muvo 256MB player and that too is excellent. You get much better value for money than the iPod range in my opinion.

Steve W
28-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks Steve. I was going to avoid Ipods, as you seem to pay twice the money for something that does the same job as an MP3. I'll look your suggestions up & see what I like.

No problem, glad to be of help.