PDA

View Full Version : Vandals

Shizara
06-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Platforms 6 and 7 at Nuneaton Railway Station have 2 waiting rooms. Recently, the one nearest the stairway was closed due to vandalism. It was open for a brief time when lo and behold the vandals strike and the waiting room is closed yet again. This can be a very busy platform and there are many times that the 2 waiting rooms are appreciated. Let's hope that the Gran or other older relatives, or even mums with small children connected with the vandals in any way don't require shelter on a busy day, especially when cold winds whistle relentlessly through there during inclement weather.

I suppose these are poor, underprivilidged youngsters that have not been given enough free and interesting entertainment by the community and are therefore choosing their own. Perhaps, rather than a life of free and interesting entertainment they need to wake their ideas up, clean their acts up and find some work that pays a legitimate income - ie taxed, like the rest of us.

Of course, it could be argued that they are *only* teenagers and therefore you can't do much with them. They need to learn that with decisions come consequences and if they are able to work out how to make a decision to take a certain course of action then they have to accept the consequences instead of mouthing off belligerantly at any form of authority other than their own.

Society has a large number of good kids. They are not all misguided and behaving accordingly, but, there are a percentage who don't have the same acceptable standards of behaviour and these are the ones that let not only society down, but their parents and also themselves. You don't need to be rich to have good manners and standards. They will take you a lot further in life and make you richer in ways those without these basic life skills will ever go. Yet, they are free to teach and free to learn but they cost time and a desire to teach and learn.

- I'll get off my soapbox now ;)

Madhatter
23-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Assuming that it is teens of course, It may be someone my age.
Platform 6/7 are the new monstrosities built for Birmingham, and as they are new I'm surprised each hasnt got a cctv camera in.

cathidaw
11-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Tell me --what have the teenagers got to DO when they are 'out?'

We all liked to 'go-out' when we were young,to dance halls, youth clubs, or just hang around. And don't forget the milk bars.
There was not so much trouble then -police , parents and teachers had more power,
But things have changed-everyone has changed, and life as it was is no more thank goodness!.
The word 'teenager' was not invented when I was younger; I would have liked to be one in these times, but it is more difficult -with more pressures. Children grow up too fast , so allow them to 'idle ' and mess about sometimes.
These kids -- and everyone else- are more affluent and much better educated than of old so why should they be content with 'nothing' and no where to go when they dress up and 'go out'.
Of course some of them cause trouble when they are bored-- and why shouldn't they be bored.
If they don't want pubs and sports centres what is there? There is a limit how often any person wants to go to a cinema., or go for a walk.
I see them, maybe 4 or 5 of them grouped outside a shop, or on a corner , doing what they do, laughing and harmlessly fooling around, or even sitting on my wall--then they are moved on by police because someone complains. Moved on to where? another corner and yet another wall.?

It's really time the 'authorities' remembered what they were like as teenagers and gave them what they need. ( Or perhaps they do, and think these kids should be seen and not heard)
Somewhere to go-maybe a drop in place where they can do something--or not do anything but sit and chat.
A few good cyber cafe's would help too- really big ones, and schools should be asked to survey their pupils to see what they really want

I'm sure the money spent on all this would be less than it costs in vandalism and arrests

A very good example of a good centre is Keresley Village Community Centre ---even that is underfunded, so that the new computers are now unused.
But that is in Keresley and we need some here in Bedworth.

Unregistered
31-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Can anyone tell me if Thompsons Rd, Keresley, is an ok area? We've been offered a house there.

chillitt
01-02-2007, 08:51 AM
I simply cannot accept that 'nuffin to do' is an excuse for vandalism.
the world is full of oppertunities, if only these little herberts would open there eyes to it. It is purely a lack of a sense ofresponsibility for the actions. they seem unaware that someone has to clean up after them, and if they want to make something of themselves, its up to them to do something about it, not for someone else to hold their hand and blow their noses for them.
National Service for thrm, unless their parents can bring em up right! (sound like my dad, yet again..:rolleyes: )

Shizara
01-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Few have an issue with young ones 'hanging out' and as you rightly pointed out
we all did it when we had our turn at being young. As a teen I was given enforced
boundaries that came with consequences if we overstepped them but we were
still able to enjoy being teens with little money in our pockets and not resorting
to certain standards of behaviour to make a point. There was no world of computers
and the internet was probably something out of science fiction but there were other
activities. Granted, young ones today......

"These kids -- and everyone else- are more affluent and much better educated than
of old so why should they be content with 'nothing' and no where to go when they dress
up and 'go out'."

Equally, when you and I were teens, in a different time and place, we were more
affluent and better educated than those before us. We too would dress up and 'go out'
or 'dress down' as the case may be depending on the activities. With the march of
time comes changes in activities for the young ones and we need to change with that,
however, that doesn't mean changing basic behaviour standards.

There was indeed a time when police, parents and teachers had more power. Too
much is a dangerous thing but equally so is too little. There was also a time where
there was more interaction between generations, yet we still had a great deal of time
to be with our peers. We learnt to respect police, parents and teachers, but, having
said that, there would always be some who would fight against those boundaries. Yes,
it is good for young ones to reach out, explore, test waters and be adventurous, it is
part of becoming an adult. Boundaries and guidelines were not to stop these activities
but to give a buffer as a protection and they are easily moved out, more often than
not as a natural progression.

Provision of physical activities such as skateboard rinks comes with the "Nanny Protection"
that is inclined to think ...oOo... Mustn't have those, someone might get hurt - we might
get sued for providing it ...oOo... Young ones have a build up of energy and need to let
off steam so to speak, each according to his/her ability. To not be able to do that is to
invite trouble.

As adults we can only look in from the outside and base things on our own experience,
which, I believe is still very valid. Surveying pupils at school, I agree, is a very good
start. Any provision of drop-in place requires funding as does any activity centre where
they can be physically active.

At the end of the day, it becomes a 2 way street. Give and take on BOTH sides coupled
with respect and appreciation on both sides. It also takes funding, organising and running
of schemes and people to do it. What do others think? One suggestion could be to actively
encourage the young ones to assist in helping themselves by engaging in fundraising activities
rather than wait for all to be provided. The kind of thing that comes to mind is car-washing for
example.

Shizara
01-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I simply cannot accept that 'nuffin to do' is an excuse for vandalism.

It is indeed not a valid excuse for vandalism nor should it be accepted as such. Any acts of vandalism should be accountable.

Madhatter
01-02-2007, 12:21 PM
It is indeed about respect and appreciation and sense of responsibility. I'd have problem with them sitting in the entrance porch if they'd be quieter, there's old people live in the block, if they didn't set fire to the cieling, scratch names in the polished floor tiles, spit on the door handle, stick matches in the lock, smash the light off the wall and wire it to the door handle.

If they didn't i'd have no problem. :mad:

optrex
01-02-2007, 03:48 PM
there's old people live in the block, if they didn't set fire to the cieling, scratch names in the polished floor tiles, spit on the door handle, stick matches in the lock, smash the light off the wall and wire it to the door handle.

If they didn't i'd have no problem. :mad:

We have exactly the same problem with old people over here. They just dont have any respect for the youth of today :eek:

Madhatter
01-02-2007, 05:07 PM
I know you'd think they'd know better at their age lol

optrex
01-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Its the age that does it. I mean, how many disabled badge cars do you see taking up the "parent and toddler" spaces in adsa when its busy?

Have you ever seen public reation when the tables are turned the other way round?

:105:

Shizara
01-02-2007, 10:33 PM
... or the ablebodied people that step out of cars with a spring in their step not caused by a sprungloaded wooden leg. Probably borrowed Gran's disabled badge to avoid carrying the half dozen 24 packs of Heineken across the carpark for the weekend birthday party - Gran is the birthday girl :evilsmile:

cathidaw
03-02-2007, 04:02 PM
[
teenagers believe the world is there for them to enjoy themselves.
I did too, at least-- Ithought life was to be enjoyed but not at other peoples expense.
to try to teach them to be more responsible we have to get them on our side.and quite early on.before leaving school--captive audiece.
The ones wandering the streets causing havoc don't need telling they are doing wrong, if you could catch up with them. even with their teeny pea brains they already know it
Istill believe they need somewhere to go-they are not grown up yet- so need enticing. Cyber cafes--somewhere to sit and chat, game around (with a wary eye looking on) If they are doing something they like -even sitting they are not out there vandalising.
Not every teenager wants a sport orientated club or youth centre . Teenagers are lazy and easily led. If they see somewhere to go which their mates are enjoying they would more likely to suss it out. Lecturing will not help they would leave.
We have to get into the brains of a teenager- yuk----try ro remember how we felt-to do any good.
It would certainly save money in the long run.

Having said all this- the police try hard but their hands are tied.
Listen to this:

I had my new'ish' car stolen and burnt out, the police found the culprit and eventually he was sentenced to 2 months in prison. The police were disgusted with this small sentence.The reason being that as he had confessed to 27 other car thefts the judge took his 'honesty' into consideration

Shizara
03-02-2007, 09:49 PM
We have to get into the brains of a teenager- yuk----

Nooooooo.. have been there once already :D I can still here my father's voice echoing in my ears:

If I catch you hanging around the streets there will be hell to pay.
You will be back here, at home by 10pm sharp - midnight on Saturday night. If not, you will not be going out again.
You are not leaving the house looking like that. You look like a pair of trollops. - (My sister and I with lipstick and mascara).

... I think you get the picture.

My father was a man true to his word and he meant every one of them when he was in discipline or instruction mode. He had a great sense of humour though and outside of those times could be fun.

Having said that, I do understand what you are saying Cathidaw but am still not a believer in handing it all to them on a plate. If you hand out on plate to a child until he/she becomes an adult will the expectations change? By all means, if they have some facilities and can be encouraged to take an interest, yes, they are off the streets, but they still need to be learning about being constructive not destructive.