PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a nice day out

Abbie
09-03-2006, 10:02 AM
I've lived in this area for quite a while, and I've visited all the obvious local attractions. But I'm bored now, and I'm looking for somewhere interesting to visit on my day off (which I have an awful lot of being a slacker). Any suggestions anyone?

Muppet
09-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Have you tried the Butterfly farm in Stratford Upon Avon? I know it sounds a bit lame, but it's actually really good, and it's not just butterflies either. It's especially nice to go on a cold day.

Abbie
13-03-2006, 03:40 PM
you know, I haven't been there since I was a little girl, I think that would be a great day out. Thank you for your suggestion Muppet. ;)

Keep the ideas coming too. :P

Sarah
27-03-2006, 05:52 PM
I'd really like to try paintballing actually, do you have to go in a group or can you just turn up and start shooting people? :)

cathidaw
25-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Where to go on a wet day;
Has anyone tried out Astley book farm?
Interested in books is a must of course.
Ioften go there ,but last weekend I had visitors, it was raining and on Sunday didn't know what to do for a change from shops and yet more shops--which they like as they live in the middle of nowhere -so I suggested we went there.It was a great success and we came out with an armful.
The have large iron stoves and even larger comfy worn leather sofas --very cosy on a nasty day--and coffee machine
Talking of book places has anyone been to the one in Alnwick-converted from part of the old railway station there--- which is still in use.
A long way to go for a day out but a good enough excuse for a few days off.

Madhatter
26-02-2007, 12:24 PM
If your interested in books North Warwickshire has a few bookshops because Atherstone is of course a book town, albeit in it's early stages, at least slow growth means less chance of here today gone tomorrow.
As you said Astley Book Farm, but if you are a book enthusiast try the Sit-a-While book shop in Atherstone, also Butlers Books, and Evans and Short Books, those two are in one shop unit, then there's Throckmortons Bookshop, also in the Market Square, St Giles Hospice Bookshop which is a proper book shop not a second hand corner in a charity shop, also The Red Lion has a whole wall of books for sale in their Kings Library lounge.
If thats not enough , a short trip over to Polesworth takes you G & J Chester's, 14 Market Street, Polesworth a well established pre booktown shop.
Lastly, (well there are a couple more in the area but they're appointment only) There's Midland Counties Publications which have a huge 'shop' that looks more like a library upstairs at their Hinckley based warehouse, 4 Wattling Drive, hinckley, Leicestershire . They sell transport and aviation books but not cars. Thats mainly railways, trams, buses, aircraft, they also sell dvd's

The Alnwick store is called barter books, we heard from stuart manley of Barter books quite a bit on the old forum which was hacked and removed, it is a shame that happened because a lot of truth was told on there about the starting of the book town.
Some may now Barter books from the old Linka modeling system which they used also used to produce at the site.

cathidaw
26-02-2007, 11:08 PM
thanks for your info.
Do the bookshops open on Sundays.Of course Ican find out but I'm feeling lazy tonight
ps
I bought Benjamin Poole's 'History of Coventry' from Hay on Wye
I had had my name on the finders list for 6 years. It was very near Christmas and they phoned to ask if Iwould like it sent on approval with no money changing hands initially as they were closing until February. All I had to pay extra was postage if Ireturned it--which of course Ididn't.
Another good service business

Madhatter
27-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I think that varies according to the Sunday, Red lion hotel would be, that goes without saying, I wouldn't think the St Giles one would, I know the others in Atherstone do but not every sunday, People would be best of phoning them before travelling, Throckmotons or Sit-a-While are best ask. As you said Astley is, But MCP isn't and is only open on sellected saturdays Ian Allan Publishing (http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/catalog/cms.php?f=publishing15.htm)

G & J Chester's polesworth - I have no idea.