PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh type festival for Stratford?

ronlyre
19-11-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm wondering what the readers of WO think about a Edinburgh type theatre/music/literature festival (obviously slightly smaller) happening in Stratford once a year? There's plenty of places to stay, (under a roof or under canvas), there's numerous venues and I think acts etc would be drawn to come to the old place.:peacefingers:

Will
19-11-2006, 06:26 PM
It's certainly the best idea I've heard for a 'World Class' town. Would be something for the people of the UK as well as the tourists, which would be nice too.

Would be great to have some more contemporary arts in Stratford too; getting a little bored of Shakespear myself.

ronlyre
19-11-2006, 09:43 PM
It was quite a few years ago that me and some friends had the idea when one day I got a phone call from someone who will remain nameless, who said rather oddly...'I hear you want to put on a Festival, well I don't think we'd allow that...' Spooky eh?:eek:

Will
19-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Normally I wouldn't further enquire, but I think if this person speaks for the council I think you should share his/her name. :)

SweetPea
18-01-2007, 03:21 PM
I think this is a brilliant idea. It would capitalize on the existing cultural heritage of Stratford and broaden the appeal for both visitors and locals (who would love an alternative to the excellent Shakespeare productions from time to time). Why don't you try and muster some support from the organisations responsible for tourism in Stratford? They surely would welcome new ideas like this.

Will
18-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Welcome SweetPea!

Perhaps we could ask the new boss of South Warwickshire Tourism Ltd. We have plenty of car parking space in our park and ride park that nobody uses. Soon we'll have a load of new hotels on the Birmingham road too.

As I mentioned, I really like the idea of doing something other then Shakespear, Stratford could be so much more of a cultural hub then in currently is. I might even start a page campaigning for a Stratford Festival.

We need a catchy name for it, any ideas? :)

chillitt
18-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Welcome SweetPea!

We need a catchy name for it, any ideas? :)

what about 'Avon Calling':D

optrex
18-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Its sounds like a great idea to me. Afterall, "locals" go there to be entertained (they ones in the park are great in the summer)

Will
19-01-2007, 12:58 PM
I quite like Avon Calling, or definately something very Similar with 'Avon' in the title.

There should be no reference to Shakespeare for sure, or everyone will get the wrong idea. I'm waiting for Ron to come back and elaborate on his idea, I'd really like to make a web page on it.

ronlyre
19-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Considering that I posted the original thread in March I'm really pleased and surprised that the subject has raised its ugly head again. Anyway, a friend of mine is putting Stratford Literary Festival together ready for next year, David Bradley (Filch in Harry Potter) has agreed to take part plus a number of authors. Not the fully monty (ie an Edinburgh Festival type thing) admittedly but a start and who knows as the year goes on we might be able to turn into something a bit bigger. I'll have a word.
Can you imagine Stratford with tents and marquees and music and theatre and street theatre and visitors from all over the country and the world etc, etc, fantastic.

Will
19-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Ron, just say the word and I'll put together a nice page, and perhaps even a forum for it. On here of course, if you're up for it.

JWR
19-01-2007, 07:49 PM
I think that a yearly festival could draw big crowds to stratford upon avon . The council allows the bulldog bash and global gethering to take place and allthough they are about 5 or 6 miles out of town , no doubt stratfords economy benefits from both of these events . And yes im sure there would be an annundance of places to stay - especially now that travelodge have "secured" the other half of a development site on the birmingham road , in which theyre planning to build one of their budget hotels ! forgive my slight tangent ...
Stratford seems to be sort of half way there , there is an abundance of entertainers on the waterside in the summer months and with some reasonably tastfull local markets going on through out the year im sure that there would be alot of willing and able people and businesses that could contribute to a succesful festival . One way or another the council really needs to up their game , but weve all known that for along time . I think if they could sniff some profit from it,their ears would soon stand up - maybe they could double the numbers of parking attendents over the festival period and reap in some extra cash from parking tickets - slightly bitter there as i received several last year ...still its nice to know that the money i paid will be put to good use...

ronlyre
19-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Let me have a think Will and a chat to one or two people...

Will
22-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm thinking I'd like to do my burning wasteman thing during the arts fest. I know this is all just an idea at the moment, but better to have too many ideas than not enough.

steve newman
16-03-2007, 07:20 AM
There's going to be a Stratford Festival of Literature this September. Go to

International Literature Festival (http://www.stratfordlitfest.com/)

for latest details.

Will
16-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Cheers Steve, would I be right in assuming you're our Ron's associate? Hope it's a huge success, please do add details here as you like.

I'll add it to the calendar too.

steve newman
16-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Yep,that's me.

Will write more about the festival in good time.

ronlyre
16-03-2007, 06:44 PM
The portal for ONLINE SERVICES - your portal!

World BUSINESS DATING site in 12 languages, Free Programs, online TRANSLATIONS & CONSULTATIONS, Theatre, ART gallery, Clown, Announcements, Forum, Chat, Fun, ...ONLINE TRANSLATIONS & ONLINE MEDICAL, PHARMACEUTICAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL, JURIDICAL, ACCOUNTANT CONSULTATIONS, DATING SITE, FORUM, ANNOUNCEMENTS... (http://bgmasters.org/foreigners.php), Medical, Pharmaceutical, Accountant, Psychological, Juridical Consults

Aaaa...how sweet your first Spam Will.

Will
17-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Yep,that's me.

Will write more about the festival in good time.

Marvellous. :)

Oh I was going to add, assuming you'd want to, if you can think of any way I can involve this forum with your festival, maybe in the form of a competition, just let me know. :D

Will
17-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Aaaa...how sweet your first Spam Will.

Touching isn't it. It's a good sign though, that people think this site is worthy of spamming.