PDA

View Full Version : Bronz Statue Stolen day after war memorial.

Will
15-11-2006, 06:36 PM
How utterly despicable can some people be? The statue has clearly been taken to be melted down for the £6000 worth of brass it's worth. It's been stood there for over 100 years apparently.

How can people be so utterly heartless?

Shizara
09-12-2006, 12:35 PM
They are greedy, unappreciative of those that have given their lives for this country - as Lex pointed out - and too lazy to get a proper job that pays proper wages/salary and of course it might entail paying the taxman too which would reduce disposable income for them. It would likely be ok by their reckoning for the rest of us to be taxpayers because the chances are we contribute to their livelihood as well.:(

Will
13-12-2006, 06:49 PM
I just saw on the news, a Sculptor was so moved when he saw the story, that he is going to create a replicar to put in place of the one that has been stolen.

It's wonderful that he is going to do this, and it will be hollow to hopefully deter people from stealing it again. I just can't believe police have got no leads on these recent crimes. There can't be that many facilities in the UK which are capable of melting down these statues.

Will
05-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Just read in the news section, there's going to be a public consultation on the new statue.

BBC NEWS | England | Coventry/Warwickshire | Views sought on new war memorial (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/6233927.stm)

chillitt
05-01-2007, 05:35 PM
surely the only decent thing to do is make it as close to the original as possible??:confused:

Shizara
05-01-2007, 06:11 PM
No town councillors... pleeeeeeease. - Anyone know the Oscar Wilde story of the Happy Prince and the town councillors squabbling over which one of them would have a statue made after himself.

I agree with chillitt wholeheartedly. There must be enough photos around to make it as close to the original as possible.

cathidaw
11-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Why bother !!
It will only go again.

People will not forget those brave ones. The memorial services prove it. Especially in Bedworth.A pin can hardly put between each person who attends the service on 11-11 . Each year it gets bigger---and it is not all elderly people who turn up, school children and many young ones with buggies.
It happens all over the Country too.
:p :cool:
Another statue will give the pea brains something else to laugh about as they try to remove it.
My guess is that it's in the river somewhere.

chillitt
11-01-2007, 11:21 AM
we bother because they bothered. it is important to have these little reminders of how we got where we are now, and the cost they paid for it. perhaps then we will stop letting this country slip into a state where memorials are stolen for their scrap value, the streets arent safe and the government are more concerned with starting fresh wars and finding new ways to tax us