PDA

View Full Version : Christmas lights in/on houses already? Why?

Will
13-11-2006, 09:25 PM
I came home from work on Friday and stopped off at Tesco. On my way through Town I saw a house that had Christmas decorations up already!!

I've not got a problem with them, I just feel that 10th November is a bit early, surely its ruins the Christmas feeling.

Anyone else seen any yet?

Steve W
16-11-2006, 08:04 AM
I do think it's getting earlier every year. Putting up the christmas lights is all part of the countdown to christmas. We're still over 5 weeks away yet. Far to early.

One thing they should do though, and that's pull down the flaming diwali stuff. IT'S FINISHED WEEKS AGO!!!!

Madhatter
19-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Atherstones lights go on this saturday, dickens night. It used to be earlier but we decided to fix it to the last sat in November, any earlier and we felt it lacked that christmas feel. I've been busy putting my lights up this week, and will continue next, i'll be struggling to get them done on time as I'd normally have started weeks ago. The town council have got their's up in a fashion, by a contractor who clearly doesnt know what they are doing as they have slipped along the wires and gathered in the centre. The Atherstone lights commitee lights seem to have been given away, in typical Atherstone style - did them the first year to prove they can, then left it to some soft sod to put his hand in his pocket for the 2nd and 3rd year to find the cash that the original 1st year lot couldn't be bothered to continue with. Don't know who's got them but I havent been asked to quote to put them up and I don't think they are up yet.:rolleyes:

Steve W
20-11-2006, 08:06 AM
I didn't go myself, but Leamington's lights were switched on last night. A friend of my wife's went and called in on her way home after it. She said it was rubbish. Have to agree with her because every year the lights in Leamington are rubbish. They use that silly idea of trying to have the lights around the branches of trees to make it look like the whole tree is lit up. Only problem being they run out of ligts less than half way up the tree and didn't bother finishing it. With all the re-development in Leamington that has gone on this year you'd think they would have made an effort to get some really good lights and stuff in this year. Instead it's the same old stuff as every year. Plus WHY is the Diwali sign still up? It's finished now.

Will
22-11-2006, 06:10 PM
We've just had to put up all the decorations in the studios, and we've started using the Chistmas versions of all the programme music. I think it cheapens Christmas, but hey I'm no expert. :)

Shizara
22-11-2006, 07:49 PM
I went to the Nuneaton Chrissy lights switch on. This year they used Santa to do the honours, however, I didn't spot him at all. The lights duly were switched on, fairly ho hum and as we wandered off there were a few fireworks.

Putting up Christmas lights in the home, well, wasn't that traditionally done 2 weeks before Christmas?

As for putting the commercial decs up early. Yes, I feel it does cheapen Christmas.

Madhatter
03-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Not many days left now. Lets see when each town switches their lights off, I'll do atherstones shizara you check nuneatons, optrex tamworths, bet they have them switched on for the 7th.

chillitt
03-01-2007, 09:49 PM
well there is a little corner of warwick thats christmas free as of today.. that feels sooo much better...:D

Shizara
04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Went for a wander around Nuneaton town centre late this afternoon. Christmas lights still up.

Steve W
05-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Leamington's Diwali sign will be up until next year I reckon.

Madhatter
07-01-2007, 11:19 PM
We don't have divali lights here but i'm working on a festival of light.
Longs street lights were off tonight but the lamp post ones are all on.

Madhatter
13-01-2007, 09:58 PM
The lights were up and on wednesday night, by friday they'd been took down.
The luxury of a cherry picker.