PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks!!! :(

Steve W
03-11-2006, 04:33 PM
In the run up to EVERY SINGLE DIWALI and bonfire night, fireworks are let off until after 1am. I live in Leamington Old Town and this has been occurring EVERY night for 2 weeks now.

There's a law against fireworks being set off after a certain time (I think it's 11pm), but what's the point in having a law against something if it isn't policed?

When it's "Fireworks Season" so to speak, there should be a constant police presence on the streets to uphold this law. There's no point in joe public phoning the local police about it because:

1. The Leamington police aren't interested unless somebody is dying. At least that's my experience of phoning them (numerous occassions due to problems with vagrants and drug users hanging around the area surrounding the flats I live in).

2. By the time the police do arrive, it would have stopped and the guilty people would just deny it anyway.

Fireworks are nice to look at, but their manufacturers have decided in recent years to make them louder for some reason. In my opinion there is
no need for the excessive bang with fireworks. The technology is there to create them without such a bang.

In a nutshell, I hate this time of year, as I'm always tired through lack of sleep.

Rant over. Thank you for your time :D

optrex
03-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I 've gotta agree Steve, we've been having fireworks go off for around 6 weeks now. Its not funny anymore.

Its 11pm for any day, midnight for nov 5th (only not the 4th or 6th) 1am for new year, chinese new year and divali

Will
03-11-2006, 05:11 PM
What's the legal age for buying fireworks anyway? Whatever it is, perhaps we need to make it a lot higher.

Steve W
03-11-2006, 05:19 PM
I personally think that fireworks shoul dnot be on general sale to the public at all. I think they should only be able to be purchased by somebody who is authorised to put on a display. I think there should be a big clampdown on it.

optrex
03-11-2006, 08:11 PM
This is probably the best site I can find regarding the code and regulations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/features/2004/11/firework_code.shtml

Shizara
03-11-2006, 09:16 PM
I like fireworks in a controlled, public display not an ongoing free for all lasting weeks and into months, late into the night. We all know that many are flouting the regulations and carrying on well past 11 pm, but how many are caught and charged with an offence in that regard?

Madhatter
03-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Seems to me that new regulations on organised displays are causing them to be cancelled and therfore more people will buy their own causing more danger.
Coleshill have had to cancel theirs.
last year I watched the girl in asda tamworth just throw fireworks out of the display case into a trolley, yet they say handle with care.:confused: