PDA

View Full Version : We need more people like this.

Will
01-11-2006, 06:16 PM
A friend of mine was telling me how the other week someone hit the side of his van and then attempted to drive off without stopping. He was a little shocked when a member of the public who'd seen this happen, swerved his car around and blocked the path of the culprit.

My friend was then able to take the drivers details, personally I'd have reported him to the police. But I'd like to take my hat off to this guy for being decent enough to do something about it, how many people would have done the same in this day and age?

Steve W
03-11-2006, 03:16 PM
If there were more people like that around, life would be so much easier.

Having said that, a lot of people wouldn't do that through being afraid of how the person would react.

Will
03-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Very true, but it did occur to be the other day, that we are allowing ourselves to be afraid too easily. I think a lot of this is down to the media's scaremongering. Police discourage the public from taking action like this too, and I think all this will ultimately do is teach people not to defend themselves or others.

In the long run, I think this only encourages crime. I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

Madhatter
03-11-2006, 10:12 PM
I'd stay out of it. I got accused of reversing into a car in leicester hospital car park, I stopped and argued that I hadn't, when she got agressive and started thumping the van i drove off. I got a visit from the police and ended up getting interviewed, I got a summons which stated if I wish to plead not guilty do not send the form back, do not turn up at court and a new date will be set. I got arrested on my doorstep for not sending the form back the day after I had a double hernia operation. I then had to go to court three time to get charged with what I thought was hitting the car, my solicitor said she had witnesses that 'saw' me hit her car so advised me to plead guilty, even though one said they heard me hit her car, one said I got out of the van, one said I didn't, one said I blasted my horn, one said she did. These witneses were taken as proof that I had.
What I infact realised I'd pleaded guilty to one and a half years later when the insurance suspended me from the company policy was leaving the scene of an accident, which was clearly not true and if i'd known I'd have never have pleaded guilty to. Even if I had hit her I did stop, I discussed it with the mental woman.
I got 280 pound fine and cost, 5 points, and an insurance hike of 1600 pound a year on top of what we were already paying.
well and truelly stitched up I was. If I knew This then I'd have gave her the 300 her car was worth in cash to shut her up.

asci
27-01-2008, 12:12 PM
I didn't have any witnesses when two cars from my household were both bumped into and damaged both our cars - on seperate occasions leaving red and blue scrape marks down our cars. Co-incidentally Warwickshire Stagecoach buses had just been re-routed up our road and would not admit liability cause we didn't have a witness though the damage caused was blindingly obvious who done it.

See for yourself - I'm soooo disgusted with them I have built a website in there honour!! Stagecoach Bus (http://stagecoach-bus.co.uk)

They've changed the route now but left carnage behind for us to pay for!!!

Madhatter
28-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Disgrace, but predictable from bus companies, i had a bus come at the side of me in manchester by the uni, hit my mirror as it was passing, scrapped all the way down the bus and as it hit the indent on the fuel filler cap it shattered, the surround and glass. £60 it cost me. I stopped on the side road, bus never stopped at all. Reported to the police, nothing done.