PDA

View Full Version : Live Entertainment in Nuneaton

Bubblychick
18-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Has anyone been any of the acoustic nights advertised in Nuneaton/Weddington?

Just wondered what type of music it is as never been before but like the idea
of some live entertainment thats not 'thump thump' music but in an nice environment ie not a nightclub.

I also hear that Long Shoot are doing a free Jazz evening.
I'm not really into Jazz, but if its free might be worth a try.

If you've any other suggestions either in Nuneaton or within driving distance let us know.

Bubblychick

Leofric
18-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Has anyone been any of the acoustic nights advertised in Nuneaton/Weddington?

Just wondered what type of music it is as never been before but like the idea
of some live entertainment thats not 'thump thump' music but in an nice environment ie not a nightclub.

I also hear that Long Shoot are doing a free Jazz evening.
I'm not really into Jazz, but if its free might be worth a try.

If you've any other suggestions either in Nuneaton or within driving distance let us know.

Bubblychick

Acoustic nights are usually singer/songwriters playing their songs (Or other songs) with just a guitar.

As for jazz - that's such a wide field of music - I like Miles Davis in his "electric period" from the 1970s and the Jazz/rock fusion stuff like Weather Report, Soft Machine (UK group) and Mahavishnu Orchestra. I've also recently been listening to trios - EST, Keith Jarrett - just piano, drums and double bass. Very mellow. Some people prefer the traditional miles Davis stuff. Bitches Brew is absolutely wild.

When people say "they don't like jazz" it's usually because they have an image of old blokes playing old fashioned music - you have to dip into the different areas and see what you like. You have to dip your toes in and see what you like.

Bubblychick
19-04-2006, 02:20 PM
I have a CD that a friend bought me a few years ago by Kenny G. I'm told that soft Jazz and I like that - its realaxing.

At the symphony hall I believe they're doing some free concerts during the day at weekends.

A friend of mine invited me the other week. As it was free thought I had nothing to lose.

Quite enjoyed it - again was relaxing. But don't think at the moment would pay to hear Jazz. It would have to grow on me more - unless it was Kenny G.

Bc

Leofric
20-04-2006, 09:22 PM
I have a CD that a friend bought me a few years ago by Kenny G. I'm told that soft Jazz and I like that - its realaxing.

At the symphony hall I believe they're doing some free concerts during the day at weekends.

A friend of mine invited me the other week. As it was free thought I had nothing to lose.

Quite enjoyed it - again was relaxing. But don't think at the moment would pay to hear Jazz. It would have to grow on me more - unless it was Kenny G.

Bc

There's a big Jazz festival in Coventry in May - loads of bands playing, and some free shows in the Herbert Art gallery. There's some stuff in the old Cathedral ruins as well. I usually go to a couple of the gigs every year, and they're excellent.

I'd rather bore my ears out with a blunt drill than listen to Kenny G. I'd say that was more "easy listening".

Shizara
25-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Live entertainment in Nuneaton eh? Well, there is usually a bit when the drinkers leave the pub across the road. A bit of shouting, screaming, the odd fight, sirens, shattering of the bus shelter glass. Some not bad voices now and then, a few broken bottles in the carpark below, the odd person groaning "Huuuuuuuughie" in a corner........ and guess what? This "entertainment" is free ;-)