PDA

View Full Version : Sporting injuries

Steve W
06-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Who here has had any serious sporting injuries? And what were they, how did it affect your life? Did you play again? etc etc

I got a bad injury whilst playing for my university football team (Chetenham & Gloucester College of HE). Some player from West Brom uni decided that my ankle looked like the ball. I played on for a bit, but then the swelling started. I was substituted and soon after my boot popped off due to the swelling. This happened in 1996 and I haven't played 90 minutes of football ever since. In fact, as far as outdoor football is concerned, I've only played 10 minutes since.

I've tried playing 5-a-side, and did for a while, until I fell off my bike and did my knee in.

I stick to snooker now, much safer.

Shizara
06-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Armchair pool is even safer:)

Steve W
06-10-2006, 11:46 AM
HAHA yeah. Apart from RSI in your thumbs ;)

optrex
06-10-2006, 12:11 PM
I might be joining you. I play 5 a side but am suffering from a sore knee now :(

Will
16-10-2006, 06:03 PM
I broke my big toe half way through a TaeKwon Do grading, while breaking a 2 inch board with a round kick. I had to finish the grading with it, and despite the agony I still managed to hide it well enough to pass.

My toe hasn't been the same since, but it was almost worth it.

chillitt
16-10-2006, 07:49 PM
those of a nervous disposition, stop now...
ok, starting at 12, i hit a tree while tobogganing... 3 months in traction, told i probably wont walk again..(they got that a bit wrong...:D )

er.. broke my left arm while a gym teacher was trying to convince himself that a vaulting horse is a good place for me to be.. he didn't believe it was broken, so he made me do it again..

broke my collar bone lobbing off a bicycle..

detached a ligament in my ankle,having a little tumble while doing a long distance walk in the lake district. st, johns ambulance geezer with me didn't believe me so i had to walk 4 miles with a 70lb pack to get back somewhere civilized...

broke both little fingers in a pub based activity after a days climbing, does that count?:rolleyes:

various cuts, grazes, gashes while climbing... nothing major!

dont do much sport anymore....:beerchug:

Shizara
16-10-2006, 08:59 PM
I bet the health insurance people would be a bit wobbley about taking you on ;)
Chances are you might cost them some money :rolleyes:

chillitt
16-10-2006, 10:15 PM
i'm o.k. as long as i promise to sit still.... and nobody gives me anything sharp..:D

Shizara
16-10-2006, 11:13 PM
"Promise to sit still" .... that means you can't even have a right/left arm pump action at the pub when drinking beer... I hope they provide straws then :whistling:

chillitt
16-10-2006, 11:27 PM
i also once fell through 5 lifts of scaffolding(about 25 ft), but that was work, not sport...and strangely i was uninjured, apart from a trowel jabbing my top lip..:rolleyes:

Shizara
16-10-2006, 11:36 PM
A cat has nine lives. How many have you? - Meow :cat:

chillitt
17-10-2006, 07:33 PM
only one, but i have scuffed it a bit...:D

marapets
18-10-2006, 02:01 PM
while playing rugby at uni i broke my nose then my leg in the same game. the leg was decidedly more painfull tore ligaments etc never played again such a sad tale!!

Shizara
11-11-2006, 02:31 PM
you are reduced to armchair sports or spectating too?