PDA

View Full Version : Reputation and ratings

optrex
05-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Just out of interest does anyone use the "reputation" and "rate this thread" features of the forum?

Will
05-10-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't use either, but then again I feel as Admin it's not my place to. I would always encourage members to leave positive feedback to each other though, it's a good gesture.

Steve W
06-10-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm still pretty new here, so not yet, although I will most likely use it in the future.

Shizara
06-10-2006, 04:54 PM
I generally find the forum users are an intelligent and witty group of people and am sure there are many with hidden talents. It is also good to see that telephone text is not being used that too helps keeps standards up.

To those that post, it is good to see your feedback to comments made and also the starting of new and interesting threads. For those that don't post, it's nice to see you have been here but we would love to see you post a comment.

Friendly banter is good as is the sharing of local knowledge. Steel sharpening steel comes to mind and that certainly happens here.

I enjoy being here with you all and certainly, after a shift of long hours and little rest I look forward to logging on, catching up and adding my own sixpenneth worth.

An idle thought.... would any of the users be adverse to a lunch somewhere sometime?

Steve W
06-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Definitely agree on the telephone text point. It drives me up the wall seeing that on forums.

optrex
06-10-2006, 07:44 PM
txt spk is gr8. wats t prblm?

chillitt
06-10-2006, 07:49 PM
txt spk is gr8. wats t prblm?

this isn't a mobile phone....:rolleyes:

optrex
06-10-2006, 09:36 PM
k fankx

.....ok ok I hate it too. :)

Madhatter
06-10-2006, 10:05 PM
I've never actually seen that on a forum Shizara, I've seen really bad language used on a site at plymouth though. Seemed the norm to use it.

Shizara
08-10-2006, 08:48 PM
I have seen mobile phone text in forums and don't bother returning. As for bad language. There are many reasons for people resorting to the use of expletives and swear words. Among them are the shock factor, impress your mates factor and for insulting. Am sure you can think of a whole lot more including a poor command of the English language on a whole and simply being lazy.

Madhatter
25-01-2007, 12:10 PM
On some sites if you dissagree they try to bully you off the site with use of 'reputation' or 'karma' when that doesn't work first the members get abusive and then the admin do. It's happened to me at two lancs sites now burnley and accrington. They follow me around from site to site trolling, then trying to twist it so it's me. :rolleyes: My very own stalkers.

ronlyre
08-02-2007, 07:57 PM
'Among them are the shock factor, impress your mates factor and for insulting. Am sure you can think of a whole lot more including a poor command of the English language on a whole and simply being lazy'.

I love language and have to say that swear words, bad words whatever you want to call them have a place and a well earned place, especially in the english language. Some of them are useful when its difficult to find a word that fits a particular situation, some of them can express frustration and anger when nothing else will do. Whichever one we choose you can be sure that the reason for its use gets across, which in the end is the point of all language-to be understood. OK so there's a taboo around certain words but that does not mean we should expel them from the language, just that we should be perhaps more choosy when we use them, in that way getting the full effect.:eek:

Madhatter
08-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Lol at my post, ironic that I should post that.
I think you're wrong, the old boy at BHS ten years ago when I was wiring the hanging garment system used to use at least ten expletives a min, sometimes as many as 20 f's b's and c's a min. I still often wonder what the reason for his use of them was and indeed what was the point of the entire conversation. Or rant as it was. :confused:

cathidaw
08-02-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm pleased that this site does not use text. Sometimes clever stuff but Ican do without it.
Most sites I have logged on to, have some text messages ,
Some have such monosallybic conversations --Ican't be bothered.
Ihave not used the thread ratings yet. Ididn't know what use they would be.

ronlyre
08-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Sorry? What's ironic Madhatter?

Madhatter
09-02-2007, 12:12 AM
They are and they aren't, it just shows others that you think that threads good. Suppose it helps others shape the forum. I'm most supprised jobees threads didn't get rated but thats perhaps they didn't think they should give it one star as that would appear to better than an unrated thread.
As the site gets busier, which it will, they'll be of more use. Reputation is personal remarks left in the members profile that only they can see. They can be good nice comments or red negative comments which i dont see as good, they can be hurtfull if people use nasty comments.