PDA

View Full Version : Stormy weekend

optrex
29-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Looks like we are in for some miserable weather over the next 3 or 4 days. Starting off with thunderstorms today and wet and windy weather into the weekend.

Warwickshire has been a magnet for tornadoes and funnel clouds recently, so keep those eyes peeled on the skyline.

optrex
29-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Just noticed the weather warnings have started to be issued too ;)

optrex
29-09-2006, 10:28 AM
There is a massive rain cell over much of Warwicksire according to the radar. It may produce some newsworthy reports. If anyone has anything, would be really pleased to hear from you.

Click on the image for full size.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3354/lights2fx5.th.png (http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lights2fx5.png)

Will
29-09-2006, 11:31 AM
I woke up to a storm this morning, wasn't too near by the sounds of it, nice to wake up a good storm though. Looks like I slept through a monsoon as well.

Jason1976
29-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Optrex, as a weather guy I imagine you get asked this all the time at the moment. But has all the recent rain helped replenish our water supplies at all?

optrex
29-09-2006, 03:40 PM
In the midlands the water supplies were never at risk. As usual all the hype is down to the SE not having enough water. This will be ongoing because there simply are not enough reserviors for that area. All is not lost thogh, they are hoping to flood half of Oxfordshire especially to cope with demand.

More info http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3681938.stm

Shizara
30-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Ooooh.. looked outside a wee while ago. Should I be hopeful the more active weather has moved on for now or is this the calm before round two?

Sometimes I miss the sound of heavy rain beating down upon the roof. The house that I lived in on the farm downunder was built on a raised area. One of the things undertaken as the land was subject to flooding. The stream - which is tidal - was diverted and now takes a course that is more favourable without destroying the natural environment. A deluge was still an interesting experience. One day I had returned home having left the car on higher ground due to rising waters on the main road. Mine was not the only vehicle there, they tend to conk out when the water gets to distributor level ;-) I was able to hitch a ride home and was picked up by another woman in her 4 wheel drive. When I arrived my home was high and dry on it's little island of raised land. Being rural the drains on the side of the road were open and deep culverts and the water drained into the tidal creek. The culverts were full and of course the drive way under water. Had to wade, water up to my thighs, to get to my wee island. Once inside, kettle on - lightening hadn't taken the power out. I logged on to the internet and shared the experience with friends in the uk who were wide awake like the moreporks - owls.

Shizara
01-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Well, I had a reminder of the sound of rain beating down on the roof last night. It rained like crazy ;)

optrex
01-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Talking about rain, it may be worth noting that parts of Warwickshire are on FLOOD WATCH

Shizara
01-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Hmm... hope I don't need the waders or a boat when I need to get the last train in to work tonight.

chillitt
01-10-2006, 06:27 PM
down comes the rain,
and up goes the river
but its work tomorrow
that makes me shiver...

Shizara
06-07-2008, 07:43 AM
..... leaking clouds ......

Gladys
07-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Hope you got there OK- never mind waders to get the train:) ; you'll need to book a submersible for Wednesday- Good Luck.

Will
08-07-2008, 10:23 AM
As long as Saturday is OK, I've been trying to do a car boot sale and I've been rained off twice now.