PDA

View Full Version : Bikes and pedestrians

JimmyLapworth
26-09-2006, 05:32 PM
As someone who cycles to and from work every day I am used to the idea that I'm open to abuse, despite the fact I follow the Highway Code and cycle on the road and always keep aware of whats around me. Cyclists, abuse...it goes with the teritory.

But what happened all of 20 minutes ago has pushed me too far. Cycling down a hill home, I see a young man and a young woman walking out of a notorious T-junction without checking for traffic. They then see me just as they're about to walk straight into my path, (having not previously checked for any traffic and had me second guessing their direction the whole time) and have the cheek the give me abuse when I have done nothing but swerve out their way because they were too lazy to use their eyes!

If you catch us doing something illegal, fair enough, say something, but if you're just walking out in front of a moving vehicle the same way a lemming jumps over a cliff, please use the opportunity and learn to use your eyes.

Rant over (waits for tirade of abuse)

Will
26-09-2006, 05:41 PM
You're well within your rights to be upset, I can't imagine how these people possibly thought they were entitled to give you abuse. I hope you explained to them that they shouldn't walk in front of traffic, no matter what form it takes.

Steve W
27-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Could not agree more mate. I've had this happen to me many times when I was cycling into work. Either on the Heathcote Lane, or on Tachbrook Road, with parents letting their kids run free on a cycle path, then giving me dirty looks or shouting at me when I have to swerve out of the kids way.

Another gripe I have on this, is the lack of respect car users show to cyclists. One thing that really riles me is when you're coming around a roundabout and a cra just pulls out without giving way to me, just because they think they can pull away before I get there.

As you know, I now work in town and walk to work. I miss cycling, but I certainly don't miss the dangers that come with it.

chillitt
27-09-2006, 09:59 AM
cyclists having problems with pedestrians are reminded of the benifits of a good loud bicycle bell....
i have no need for such, when i am cycling the wheezing is enough to alert everything within half a mile..:rolleyes:

Steve W
27-09-2006, 10:09 AM
LOL

I have a bell on my bike, but just like car alarms, everybody ignores them :confused:

AMP
01-02-2023, 05:42 PM
I have been on the other side of this quite a few times in Warwick, many careless and lawless cyclists in the town along with e-scooters. Many swerve about on small pavements and road crossings with near misses. You cannot say anything as the yobs either will swear at you, remain silent or challenge you.