PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a Wild Patch in your Garden?

Simon
05-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Hey folks,

I've been really into Bill Oddy and everything he's had to say this year, and I got really into his suggestion of leaving a part of our gardens wild to attract some nature and do our bit for the environment.

Well, I did one little corner and wow was it worth it. I've had all kinds of animals stopping by that I've never even seen in my garden before. Tons of dragonflies, butterflies, bumblebees, and it's even attracted lots of birds to come and eat them all. It's been such a success I'm going to make it bigger next year, and see if I can get more interesting stuff.

Wondering if anyone else has tried this, and what results they got?

chillitt
05-09-2006, 08:25 PM
my garden is a wild patch! got a stream too... and its in the middle of 1800 acres of all sorts of undergrowth.... got jays, kingfishers all sorts...

Shizara
05-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Invite the bumblebees too!!

chillitt
05-09-2006, 08:49 PM
the hornets have scared them all off...:(

Milly
06-09-2006, 11:35 AM
This sounds like a super idea! Do you do anything else, or just literally leave a section of your garden untouched?

Madhatter
06-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Tried to tell my nan that I'm going to leave a tidy patch and the rest is wild life garden but all she does is nag that it's a mess :(

Mari
25-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Thread ressurected from 2006 , doesn't time fly!

I spotted an orange tip butterfly in my garden the other week, first I've seen for a long time.

Also seen this little fellow visiting the garden, though from checking my bird book it was more likely a lesser spotted woodpecker.

cathidaw
25-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I have unintentional wild patches but they are very pretty at this time of the year.
Have found a n 8" hawthorn growing which I will cultivate. and my clump of clover in a plastic tub which turned up last year.has gone wild-so beautiful

Hey folks,

I've been really into Bill Oddy and everything he's had to say this year, and I got really into his suggestion of leaving a part of our gardens wild to attract some nature and do our bit for the environment.

Well, I did one little corner and wow was it worth it. I've had all kinds of animals stopping by that I've never even seen in my garden before. Tons of dragonflies, butterflies, bumblebees, and it's even attracted lots of birds to come and eat them all. It's been such a success I'm going to make it bigger next year, and see if I can get more interesting stuff.

Wondering if anyone else has tried this, and what results they got?

Lex
17-03-2013, 04:51 PM
I haven't got a wild patch as such, but have loads of trees/shrubs to provide cover for birds, lavender and lupins to encourage bees, and a few small piles of branches tucked under my hedges to give bugs & insects somewhere to live and dine out!

Shizara
17-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Oooh... A haven for the bees!!

cathidaw
18-03-2013, 01:24 AM
I noticed my 2012 posting. MY 8" HAWTHORN BUSH IS NOW OVER 3 FEET HIGH. I'M TRIMMING IT TO MAKE A TREE, CUTTING OFF THE BRANCHES AS THEY START. IT'S A LOVELY SHAPE TOO. i GAVE IT MANY 'HAIRCUTS' IN THE SUMMER, TO SHAPE IT.The clover in the pot was lovely last year, it trailed and is about 18" across-its a big pot.I THINK THE BIRDS DROPPED THE SEEDS.
PLENTY OF BITS THAT NEED TIDYING IN MY GARDEN BUT OVERALL THERE'S SO MUCH IN IT. IT DOESN'T AT FIRST SIGHT LOOK A MESS.
THERE ARE 3 CLUMPS OF PRIMROSES IN THE LAWN. HAVEN'T SEEN THEM BEFORE.