PDA

View Full Version : Where do you go on Holiday in the UK?

Will
05-04-2006, 04:52 PM
HI everyone,

It's strange, but I go down to Salcombe in Devon for my holidays sometimes, and every time I see at least a few people from my home town in Stratford. It got me wondering whether it's a local thing, where word spreads of a good place to go.

So where do you go on your holidays in the UK?

Leofric
05-04-2006, 07:56 PM
HI everyone,

It's strange, but I go down to Salcombe in Devon for my holidays sometimes, and every time I see at least a few people from my home town in Stratford. It got me wondering whether it's a local thing, where word spreads of a good place to go.

I have only been on holiday in the UK once - last year, to Cornwall. A friend had a static caravan, so it was a freeby. I wouldn't stay on a Caravan site again. Full of townies and very noisy, and miles from anywhere. Some nice restaurants in Looe, and the Eden Project & Heligan were well worth seeing. Polruan/Fowey are OK, but other places are too touristy - polperro for one. Mevagissey seemed very run down.

Bodmin moor was excellent - some stone cirlcles and neolithic tombs, and a mad cafe owner in a town called "Minions"...

I prefer to go abroad, though. The food is better, cheaper, and attractions cheaper and better managed. Britain's focus is just on grabbing the cash and little else. I spent a weekend in Verona and you could see 2000 years of wonderful history for virtually nothing, and none of it is cluttered up with stupid fast food cafes and crap shops selling trinkets.

Will
06-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Always wanted to visit Bodmin Moor, did you see the Beast of Bodmin While you were there? :)

Leofric
06-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Always wanted to visit Bodmin Moor, did you see the Beast of Bodmin While you were there? :)

No, but I was a bit of a beast with the wife:-)

Bodmin was great - Galitha falls, The Hurlers.

There's some pictures here:

martinnike.fotopic.net

(And some of Coventry)

chillitt
06-04-2006, 08:02 PM
if you go to bodmin check out castle drago, its a victorian fake castle, but its a beaut!

Shizara
25-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Dawlish Warren for me when away for my summer holiday. Handy to the train station too. Nice drive to Widecombe-on-the-moor for an ice cream stopping at Buckfastleigh on the way back. Filling in a week is ever so easy and suddenly it is time to return to the saltmine (work) again.

jj70
26-09-2007, 06:28 PM
I use to go to the Lake District with an ex and we use to stay at The Patterdale in Ullswater. The hotel was'nt anything special but the food was top quality and rooms cosy enough after a good days walking and the price included room, brekkie and evening meal. Entertainment was included on one of the nights and you could do weekend stays or four night mid week.The hotel was situated perfect for St Sunday's Crag, Place Fell, Helvellyn walks as you can just walk out of the hotel and they surround it and the local pub less than 2 mins walk if you wanted to get out of the hotel one evening. I think the choice hotel group owned it and had good discount on online bookings/last minute deals.This hotel always welcomes walkers which was quite nice and the staff alway's helpful and smiling.

cathidaw
26-09-2007, 11:27 PM
we used to go on riding holidays on Dartmoor--not trekking--hard riding --(there's a good tale there for sometime)-and we had to be weighed before allowed on the horses- horses to suit the rider and no bit- just a rope.
I thought I could ride the first time I went!. I was jolted down to earth --often literally but I Could ride when I came back --and went back a few times.
Go to Stickelpath and turn left , go right up into the moor. Therei sa gate to keep the horses from straying onto the road. It is so unspoilt and unbelievably beautiful.
Again , talking of coincidences, the first time Igot talking to the lady who lives at the pub up there--The Belstone --she said her husband was born in Bedworth, and went there as a baby.

optrex
27-09-2007, 01:56 PM
HI everyone,

My favourite place to holiday is South Hams - Dittisham, Dartmouth, Salcombe.

My wifes favourite place is North Devon, Croyde etc