PDA

View Full Version : Risc Os?

MikeCarter
22-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Any one here still use RISC OS?

Will
22-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the boards. I'm not sure what that is myself, a search mentioned acorn computers, I haven't seen one of those let alone used one for a long while.

I still have two ZX Spectrums though. :)

Shizara
22-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Yes ... I do ... I have a RISC OS with RO4 on a workstation in the other corner of the room. Have borrowed the network cable for it to run the laptop in the bedroom. I have a router with wifi but don't have the right card for that in the RISC OS and the connectivity through to the bedroom is pants so I run the cable through.

When I have both the computers online I can boot the pair of them and be doing email on the RISC OS and Windows is still loading.

I also associate a lot with other RISC OS users...

My first computer was an A4000...

Shizara
22-08-2006, 10:12 PM
RISC OS stands for Reduced Instruction Set Chip ... the operating system is stored on the ROM modules so you don't have to install it like Windows. This also makes it faster at booting. It has an ARM processor. My RO4 has strongARM.

MikeCarter
23-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Yep I can clearly see you like RISC OS.

Im currently upgrading my RPC 700 to run RISC OS 4.39 Adjust, 128mb RAM, 80 GB HDD, and Strong ARM 233.

Im part of the RISC OS Midlands User Group.

So you say there are a lot of other RISC OS users in nuneaton?

Will
23-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Im part of the RISC OS Midlands User Group.

That's ace, be sure to let me know if you need a group forum setting up on this site (something I'm offering to any group that wants it). :)

Shizara
23-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Oddly, I have never been a member of a RISC OS user group over here though I have been communicating with many of the users for something like 8 years.

I know a RISC OS user near Cambridge - Rob - in fact it was Rob that upgraded my RISC OS into RO4 nearly 6 years ago - coo that's scary. Hasn't been upgraded since. In fact, it still has a harddive less than 1GB.

Have just been given a url which shows a piccy of some of the Midlands group. Not see you there though.

Am just proddling some of the lads....

MikeCarter
23-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Oddly, I have never been a member of a RISC OS user group over here though I have been communicating with many of the users for something like 8 years.

I know a RISC OS user near Cambridge - Rob - in fact it was Rob that upgraded my RISC OS into RO4 nearly 6 years ago - coo that's scary. Hasn't been upgraded since. In fact, it still has a harddive less than 1GB.

Have just been given a url which shows a piccy of some of the Midlands group. Not see you there though.

Am just proddling some of the lads....

I designed the website :D

I guess you go to drobe, whats your Alias there?

Oh by the way I use MikeCarter on all the RISC OS forums I visit

Shizara
23-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Grins - I have a few aliases... but likely the one you will know me as if at all will be the one associated with my avatar - Bumblee

Shizara
25-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Hmm... a RISC OS group forum... we could try it. MikeCarter what do you think? It might also be a timely reminder for me to join the Midland group and also to let them know about WarwickshireOnline.

Will
25-08-2006, 05:19 PM
JUst moved this thread to the new RISC OS group. :)