PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who filming...

Shizara
20-08-2006, 03:59 PM
I hear that there is a suggestion some filming for Doctor Who could be done in Coventry sometime soon. Anyone heard anything?

Milly
20-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Where did you hear that? It'd be great to see Darleks wondering around Cov. :D

Shizara
20-08-2006, 10:33 PM
The rumour came to me via some very effective bush telegraph (means by word of mouth) ... so no idea what the origin was hence trying to find out if someone else has heard it or knows.:angel:

M4gg1c
21-08-2006, 07:11 AM
Haven't heard anything about this - but will keep my eyes & ears open

Will
22-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Be sure to report back if you hear anything!

Shizara
22-08-2006, 08:49 PM
It would appear that we have some Doctor Who fans ;)

Shizara
28-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Well, there was some truth to the rumour. Went to Coventry anyway and went for a walk. Lo and behold, a dead giveaway, Ryder's rental trucks and a Cardiff sticker outside the old Ford's Hospital. Quite a few of the crew around preparing the building for filming later tonight. - The road will be closed if you are planning a visit so might need to "beat the feet". The old Manor House has some goings on too.

Shizara
28-08-2006, 09:23 PM
I took some photos of the preparations before filming if anyone is interested. They used barrels to cover bollards, straw to cover the road, washing to cover the writing on the building and a tarpaulin type thing covering a sign on the wall and a decoration over the door handle.
http://picasaweb.google.com/CrystalFire/FordSHospitalCoventryPreparationForFilmingDoctorWh o28Sept2006

Shizara
28-08-2006, 09:25 PM
hmm.. the url didn't work too well... try http://picasaweb.google.com/CrystalFire then choose the album about Coventry and filming

M4gg1c
29-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the info Shizara - good bit of detective work - talk about being in the right place at the right time!

chillitt
29-08-2006, 04:12 PM
i saw the tardis!!!!:D :D
its parked outside the lord leicesters hospital in warwick(now with a tarpaulin over it) and its all looking a bit like the seaside there...
i thought the tardis was bigger...:rolleyes:

Shizara
29-08-2006, 07:22 PM
OOOOOH!! Did you take a photo for us?????

chillitt
29-08-2006, 08:03 PM
er.. sort of.. its under a tarp, and i took it with my mobile... and i cant get the pic onto the 'puter... (luddite, see) if you pm your mobile no. i can send it you, but its not that exciting! i will try harder tomorrow

Unregistered
29-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi - have just found this via a google search.

Listening to the news tonight - seems they will be there for tonight & tomorrow as well.

Unregistered
29-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Tonight! Woop just drove buy adn saw loadsa extras, im too scared to go any closer! I think they will porb be filming 2moz, but lets keep our finders crossed...ooo its so exciting!

Will
30-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Welcome to the forum, hope you'll register with us. :)

I think you should be brave and go and ask if they want any extras. :)

Shizara
30-08-2006, 05:17 PM
... and then, when you come back would you update us please? :)

Further to Will's invitation why not join us then we can address you by name :tiphat:

Unregistered
30-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Just back from Warwick

Nothing happening yet.

Apparently due to start 8:30ish, but alot of inside filming tonight :-(

Not finishing until 4am tomorrow ..................

May see you there later - lol

Scarlet

Unregistered
30-08-2006, 05:26 PM
OK - am registered now ;-)

Also TARDIS was disassembled already before we got there :-(

Shizara
30-08-2006, 05:27 PM
I wish... have to get up at 3.00 to go to work. Am on the megaearlies this week.

Scarlet
30-08-2006, 05:28 PM
I think you should be brave and go and ask if they want any extras. :)

Don't think girlie on sports bike is exactly the sort of theme for this one :p

Shizara
30-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Probably not... but an adaptation of that could be a girlie, dressed appropriately for the time setting, riding a horse?

Will
30-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Don't think girlie on sports bike is exactly the sort of theme for this one :p

I dunno, I think there's always room for girlies on sports bikes. :)

Shizara
30-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Scarlet, the :Welcome: is rolled out for you:-)

chillitt
30-08-2006, 08:35 PM
i tried to go get some better pictures this morning, and the town was full of nutters....:rolleyes: i'll be on foot tomorrow so should be able to get a bit closer.. is there a special W.O.L. salute or handshake, in case i bump into any of you lot?? or can i just accost all girlies on bikes?:cool: :eek:

Shizara
30-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Am depending on you to be chief photographer. I have to go to the saltmine so not likely to bump into me.

Grins.. special W.O.L salute or handshake.. in some respects that's a good point.
Perhaps we could consider some way of identifying each other at such events. The common denominator of pointNclick and excitement probably won't be much of a clue as many others will be doing the same. Of course... chillitt might be the one looking for the girlies on bikes - that might be fairly obvious ;)

chillitt
30-08-2006, 10:06 PM
busted:rolleyes: .... you look for tardis's, i look for girlies on bycyles... :D we all walk to the beat of a different drum machine!

Shizara
30-08-2006, 10:21 PM
o/' ..and the beat goes onnnnnnn.. the beat goes on.. o/' ...
All pointing to:

Time
And
Relative
Dimension
In
Space

Now, chillit, will you be able to focus on the job at hand? ie taking photos or will it be a case of "Mine eyes doth wandereth away."

chillitt
31-08-2006, 11:37 AM
trouble is the tardis has wandered away.... and i got a camera here and everything....hmmm... something to photograph...:cool:

Shizara
31-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Well... there is always the girlies on sports bikes - that would keep the lads happy .... or you could go on a "seek and ye shall find" mission for the wandering Tardis ;)

:beerchug: chillitt our Roving Reporter right where the action is - but the Tardis has wandered off........

Scarlet
31-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Went back last night - no sign of David Tennent :( but nice to watch the other action. Took a couple of pics - camera's not too good in the dark.

Anyone see the Citizen paper today ??

Sounds like they want to use Coventry again in the near future :D

Shizara
31-08-2006, 06:18 PM
If circumstances had been different would have enjoyed a return visit to Coventry myself. Good to see you took some piccies... my camera doesn't do nightlights too well and lights get the fuzzies.

Citizen paper? No, haven't seen it, but I note your comment about them wanting to use Coventry again in the near future. Bonus!

chillitt
31-08-2006, 07:08 PM
your raving reporter- right where the action was.. strangely, while i was try to get a picture for you i was sucked through a recently closed worm hole in the fabric of space and time caused by the tardis's strange travels. at first i thought it was dickensian london (you know, the episode with the ghosts in the cellar..) but it turns out it was just the old curiosity shop. drat.

Shizara
31-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Awwwww.... but.. am so glad you escaped the closed wormhole in the fabric of space and time... by now, if you aren't already, you should be rather accomplished at pointNclicking and start competing with the bloke in the grey top that was all over the place in his quest for piccies.

chillitt
31-08-2006, 11:42 PM
thats all very well going back in time and all but i've been hanging about here for 120 years, waiting to get back to the present day! still that mister churchill was a very nice man. and at least there was somewhere to park in warwick then, shame i didnt take the car really... good to be back, i'll take the 8 x 10 glass plates in to be developed tomorrow:thumbs2: :Lies:

Shizara
02-09-2006, 04:15 AM
Did he offer you a cigar?.........

Health/Safety concerns. Take care with the transportation of the glass plates. Prints required at least before they are accidently dropped.

Some superb on the spot reporting there chillitt.

chillitt
02-09-2006, 09:40 PM
stay tuned for more on the spot reporting....:rolleyes:

Shizara
02-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Hi de hi chillitt!

Am always tuned for on the spot reporting :thumbs2:

Madhatter
17-09-2006, 04:33 PM
There used to be a museum on dr who in mid wales, went to look for it the other day and found out they'd sold all the memorabilia off, weeks before filming started for the new dr who series. that must have hurt the owners, big mistake.

Shizara
17-09-2006, 08:45 PM
There is a Dr Who exhibition in Blackpool. Have been there a few times and can never resist getting in the back of an open Dalek, peering out of the grill in front and winding the plunger and egg whisker arms around. Wahey! "Exterminate! Exterminate!"

Madhatter
18-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Yes I know, I noticed when googling. I haven't been yet but might be going up soon, I go on blackpoolweb, and we have meets up there. There was one down south at portsmouth too when i went isle of wight last year, and there was one at lancaster a couple of years back.

Shizara
18-09-2006, 07:30 PM
It really is worth a visit. We usually go for a few days to see the Blackpuddle Illuminations and spend a bit of time at places like the Doctor Who Exhibition. If you visit before I do can we expect some on the spot reporting and a photo?:p

Leofric
18-09-2006, 07:43 PM
It really is worth a visit. We usually go for a few days to see the Blackpuddle Illuminations and spend a bit of time at places like the Doctor Who Exhibition. If you visit before I do can we expect some on the spot reporting and a photo?:p

Have they reopened the Dr Who exhibition? I thought it closed down years ago.

EDIT: Looks like it reopened in 2004: http://www.drwhoexhibitions.co.uk/blackpool04.htm

Leofric
18-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Went back last night - no sign of David Tennent :( but nice to watch the other action. Took a couple of pics - camera's not too good in the dark.

Anyone see the Citizen paper today ??

Sounds like they want to use Coventry again in the near future :D

Coventry's actually probably a good location for filming - you've got the old bits, and then all the ugly modern things like flyovers and the like...!

Variety, eh!

Shizara
18-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Two words waft into the mind:

oOo...Millenium Place...oOo

chillitt
08-04-2007, 11:43 PM
So did you you see it? did you? The episode filmed in warwick was on last night. They managed to dress Lord Leicesters up so it looked just like a set made of polystyrene!!!

Shizara
09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I certainly did see it! There may not have been any mobile phone coverage where I was staying over the weekend but was still able to watch Doctor Who. Recognised that hospital in Coventry where some of the filming was done. During the day they had rinsed some raglike material in what looked like dirty water and hung the pieces up as washing in front of the building, along with other tweaks to hide modern add ons.

The Globe Theatre also made a superb setting, and as for Martha Jones... an excellent choice.

Leofric
09-04-2007, 05:47 PM
I certainly did see it! There may not have been any mobile phone coverage where I was staying over the weekend but was still able to watch Doctor Who. Recognised that hospital in Coventry where some of the filming was done. During the day they had rinsed some raglike material in what looked like dirty water and hung the pieces up as washing in front of the building, along with other tweaks to hide modern add ons.

The Globe Theatre also made a superb setting, and as for Martha Jones... an excellent choice.

I saw Cheylesmore Manor house in a couple of shots, as well!

It was OK, but lacked tension and oddly, atmosphere.

Give me the old series over this scooby doo version. (Apart from the last four years, which were dreadful!)