PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy monitor cable...

Shizara
18-08-2006, 08:22 AM
I have a spare monitor here with a dodgy cable, ie .. the monitor itself works fine but if you happen to move the cable when doing something like moving the workstation out and vacuuming the dust away it disconnects. It isn't the computer side of things because I tried swapping the monitor with the one off the RISC OS and it was fine. It isn't a case of buying a new cable and plugging it in as it is fixed into the monitor. So, are they worth repairing and if so can anyone recommend a place?

Will
18-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Depends if you need a good monitor or just anything I suppose. It's probably the same price to buy a a second hand one (possibly a new one), as it may be to get it fixed.

I'm not sure where to go, but you're more the likely going to find it cheaper to order online. Or get a second hand one from ebay.

Shizara
18-08-2006, 10:03 AM
My computers have monitors, was mostly just seeing if it was viable to have it repaired so I can send it to a friend so I don't actually need another. One of the others is well travelled so to speak. Purchased it from a friend in London then went down to pick it up. Boxed, getting it to the train was fine, stowing it away was fine, getting it out in Edinburgh when I was living there was also fine as was getting it into a taxi to home and up the stairs to the first floor. Opened box, reached in to get the monitor out not realizing it was now wedged into the polystyrene packaging and went to lift. Heard a sound like material ripping and after the searing pain realized I had torn a muscle. Had to wait for my flatmate's boyfriend to get home to get it out and do the necessaries. Live and learn eh? :cool:

chillitt
18-08-2006, 05:46 PM
theres a computor fair at the motorcycle museum on saturdays, i'm sure someone there will be able to repair it, or sell you a new one very cheap!

Will
19-08-2006, 12:05 PM
I should probably know this, but where's the Motorcycle museum? :)

chillitt
21-08-2006, 05:23 PM
here!
http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk/default.html

optrex
27-09-2006, 02:50 PM
If its a CRT monitor I wouldn't bother. It will soon cost you to dispose of it.

Shizara
28-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Currently it is sitting behind an armchair in the living room. The two computers that are being used both have monitors, it was just a spare one. Once you connect it if you don't move the computer and therefore move the cable it still works just fine.

Shizara
28-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Speaking of computers. Am back on the PC again tonight having recovered the cursor arrow that vanished.